PRR GG-1

Hi Everyone, I've been lurking here a while, getting a lot of tips and info from all the knowledgeable folks here- most questions I've had have been asked before, and the answers are always good.

I now have a question that I hope I can find an answer to. I bought a HO scale GG-1 on ebay which was delivered this week, it was listed as a Lima. When i unpacked it, turns out it's not- all it says underneath is made in Yugoslavia. It runs well, lights all work etc, and looks better after fitting Kadee's to both ends. It has an unusual power pick up ( to me, anyhow) as it can feed either from both rails, or one rail and either pantograph via overhead supply. Any ideas who made it? Thanks in advance, Laurie in Melbourne Australia.

Reply to
Laurie

On 2/13/2009 5:35 PM Laurie spake thus:

I know just who made it: Mehano, of (the former) Yugoslavia. I have the same model. (Mine's # 4856, in the dark Brunswick "green"; what # is yours?)

It's a pretty dandy model, very well made, except for one thing: the motor, a 3-pole job, is pretty wimpy. I'm thinking of repowering mine; anyone here done that? It could use a couple flywheels while one is at it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 2/13/2009 5:35 PM Laurie spake thus:

Couple more things: these models (Mehano) were sold by IHC (International Hobby Corp.) in the 1990s. (May have been sold under a different name before that; I don't know.) They were actually made in Slovenia, then part of Yugoslavia, one of the most Western of the Balkan republics that broke away from the confederation early.

I have some other Mehano models, and they're all pretty damn good. Not up to brass quality, mind you, but pretty much state-of-the-art for plastic models at the time.

By the way, are you a woman? It's rare (and refreshing) to see someone of that gender posting here. (I ask because people have been known to post using their wife's or girlfriend's email account under their name.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Were these the Pemco models or did they come from elsewhere?

Reply to
a_a_a

On 2/13/2009 10:06 PM a_a_a spake thus:

What or who is Pemco?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sold a number of models of generally reasonable quality, some of which were later re-released as Model Power and IHC. They had a quite nice SD35, for instance.

Reply to
a_a_a

I have two GG-1's. One is like yours and was made in Yugoslavia and the other is a Rivarossi that was made in Italy.

Were you able to find a knuckle coupler to fit? If you did which Kadee coupler was it? One of mine has XF2 horn-hook couplers on it (something I have come to detest) and the other is something that I can't begin to describe, but I have been searching for replacements.

Reply to
Ronnie

Reply to
Laurie

Reply to
Laurie

"Laurie"

What?

How can anyone not know how to cut and snip?

Put your mouse cursor at the beginning of the text you want to snip.

Press the left mouse button and, at the same time, drag the left mouse button down the side of the monitor so that the text you want to snip is highlighted.

Keeping the left mouse button depressed, drag the cursor to the end of the text you want to snip.

Release the left mouse button and hit the backspace key.

Text is cut.

If you make a mistake, click on the "Undo" icon on the tool bar.

It's so simple.

Why don't people experiment with their computers? Experiment with one thing at a time so you can reverse it if you don't like it. There's so much to learn that's so easy a child can do it.

-- Cheers.

Roger T. See the GER at: -

Roger T.

Laurie,

Thanks for the information on the couplers. We have one(1) reasonably good hobby store here and no club, so help is not really that available. I have had the same experience you had. Both units run better in one direction than the other. So working on the lead coupler is a good recommendation. Thanks. I think that I will leave the Rivarossi for last and work on the other one first.

Reply to
Ronnie

Laurie,

I left out some information that I was going to tell you. I have one that has #4828 on it(the same unit that you have) and the other(the Rivarossi) #4829. Both are dark green. Also, if you don't have the documentation, there is a slide switch on the bottom that changes the unit from one mode to the other. They are both very nicely detailed units but one is decided heavier than the other.

Reply to
Ronnie

Pemco was a line of RTR HO models which were manufactured in the mid '70s to early '80s. Besides the GG1 they offered three or four Diesel types and three steam profiles. The last were of 0-4-0T, 2-6-0 and

4-8-2 wheel configuration. They also retailed several types of rolling stock (all freight IIRC). After Pemco went out of business, the dies for the locos were used by IHC and probably Mehano as well.

IMHO the mogul was the best looking of the line. I believe it was based on the SP M-21. Its detail was sharp with a degree of 3- dimensionality rare for plastic steam of that era. Operationally, the story is not as good. Both sides of this locomotive collected power from the track which was transmitted to and utilized by a small motor in the tender. The motor drove two of the four wheel sets in the tender trucks. Thus, the tender pulled the train while pushing the loco. Sometimes the loco would slide, rather than roll, down the track. Adding weight to loco, and good lubrication of same, could improve this situation. A similar powering approach was used for Tyco's 0-8-0 and 2-8-0 models. I believe IHC used more traditional powering scheme when they took over the Pemco line.

HTH

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

On 2/15/2009 4:27 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Well, were they (Pemco) a manufacturer or a retailer? IHC was the reseller that sold models made by Mehano, so maybe Mehano made those models all along. (Don't know for sure.)

And for the sake of our furrin' friends, Pemco was in the U.S., correct?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

More about Pemco...

This site also has several manufacturers including AHM (Associated Hobby Manufacturers), Bernie Paul was a principle in AHM as well as the later Regal Way and then IHC (International Hobby Corp.) which is still in existence.

Numerous U.S. manufacturers/distributors/suppliers contracted with Mehanotehnica (Mehano) over the years including Atlas, AHM, Con-Cor, Life-Like, MRC, Model Power, and Regal Way to manufacture products for them. The tooling was often re-used for a subsequent manufacturer/ distibutor/supplier.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Neither do I. But, I purchased my Pemco mogul in 1978. This was long before I saw any notices from Mehano. Absence of evidence, however, should not be considered to automatically prove the converse.

Yes, Bill's citation shows a New Jersey address. Thank you Bill!

Thank you.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

On 2/15/2009 6:34 PM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

So Pemco was a reseller, and possibly an importer as well, but not the manufacturer. Does your Mogul say "Made in Yugoslavia" on it?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl
[...]

traditional

The IHC 2-6-0 is the Pemco loco with upgraded drive train. It's still a wonderful little engine, and easy to superdetail if you feel so inclined (and find the parts -- the selection is shrinking, unfortunately.)

BTW, IHC has been upgrading its locos steadily over the years. Their most recent new offerings have blackened RP-25 drive wheels, and a PC board to make them "DCC ready." Unfortunately, Mehano, their main supplier, has gone broke and closed its factory.

IHC's predecessor was AHM, who went broke sometime around 1980 and was reorganised as IHC. Both were/are importers of rebranded or contract-designed models. Many people turned up their noses at their models, but they got a lot of people into the hobby. IMO, the avoidance (I'm choosing a polite term) of NMRA wheel standards was their biggest mistake.

Cheers,

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

No. My locomotive is labelled Pemco and "Made in Hong Kong". HTH

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

Mehanoteknica. (I think that's the correct spelling) They closed their doors last month after 55 years.

They have produced MR models at the lower price end of the model spectrum, particularly to the USA under various importers labels. (plus general toys) The worst is crude rubbish, the best quite usable.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.Procter