GG-1

Looking for some Pennsy GG-1 (no Tyco) will trade or buy. Need to pull less that 8 cars.

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim, In the May issue of MR on page 93 Standard Hobby has an ad for reduced price BLI models. They listed a variety of GG-1s for $119 each. I saw a couple of BLI GG-1s at the LHS some time ago and thought they really looked good. Standard also had some M1as for $129. I also noticed that Marklin and Trix are coming out with GG-1s this year. No telling how many multiple 100's those things will cost. I wonder why Marklin/Trix feel the need to produce GG-1s right now. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

That is why I am still looking for old, relatively cheap units. I expect to run about 10 before I am done. Have 5 now. Should have bought them when they were $59 new.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim,

IHC has manufactured HO GG1's in a number of PRR schemes over the years. Walthers lists them for $79.98, but you can generally find them cheaper if you hunt around. The BLI's have the edge on detail and sound, but if you're aiming for "the look" on a budget the IHC's aren't that bad. And my experience has been once they are lubed and broken in the IHC's are reasonably decent runners. The "Premier Series" are supposed to have better drive mechanisms, but I haven't noticed much difference, and something resembling RP25 contour wheels.

Here's a list of the IHC product numbers, and short description, to help your hunt. Notice a couple of numbers are listed twice, once in Tuscan and again in the Brunswick Green repaint:

9650 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4828 (Tuscan, 5-Stripe) 9651 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4828 (Brunswick Green, 5-Stripe)

9652 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4880 (silver, large herald, black lettering)

9653 GG-1 - Pennsylvania "Black Jack" #4935 (Brunswick Green, 5-Stripe)

9654 GG-1 - Pennyslvania #4907 (Tuscan, single stripe)

9655 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4907 (Brunswick Green, single stripe)

9656 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4856 (Tuscan, 5-Stripe)

9657 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4856 (Brunswick Green, 5-Stripe)

9658 GG-1 - Pennsylvania #4824 (Brunswick Green, 5-Stripe, Futura lettering)

9661 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4899 (Pre-Loewy prototype) 9666 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania Spirit of '76 (red, white & blue) 9668 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4829 (Unique 5-Stripes into One) 9669 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4876 (Tuscan, 5-Stripe) Note: Washington, D.C. Union Station Crash Engine 9675 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4800 (5-Stripe, Brunswick Green) 9676 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4910 (5-Stripe, Tuscan) 9677 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4894 (5-Stripe, Brunswick Green) 9678 GG-1 - Premier Series -- Pennsylvania #4843 (5-Stripe, Brunswick Green)

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

I don't know if they have changed, but I used to have one of those IHC GG-1's, and for all the wheels they have underneath, they had but TWO powered axles with traction tires on them, and couldn't pull for beans.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

snip

They have changed and several years ago. Current version is six axles powered with two motors. They are very smooth running although not top of the art for paint and detail. I would take the BLI for heavy weight = traction and sound with better paint and detail. The PSC brass models are works of art for paint and detail but geared too slow and need more weight.

Reply to
David B. Redmond

Ah, that is good news. For as bad as they ran (when I had that one...) they were very nicely detailed units. Glad to hear that some improvement has been engineered into them, thanks for passing that along!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Last summer I bought two IHC freight sets with PRR GG-1's that each cost less than the separate GG-1 in the next isle. The boxes say they are twelve wheel drive. They are product #309 - Green 5 stripe, and #312 - Red 5 stripe. The Green is marked 4800 and the Red is 4910. Both include a loop of track, transformer, caboose 478171, open hopper

159108, Tank 500001 and box car 80229. List price on the tags was 99.98, but the sale price was 59.98. I've never had either one out of box, but did open them far enough to retrieve the registration cards.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

These could be either one or two motored units. The fact that they are

12-wheel drive means they are not really early units, likely have the smaller flanges, and are probably decent for what they cost.

I have seevral of the premier series IHC GG-1's and am generally satisfied with them. I rate the AHM/Rivarossi models a bit higher due to far better wheel detail, and slightly better frame detail. They have comparable pulling power, as the Riv's have traction tires, but only three powered axles.

I also dual powered three of my Riv. GG-1's, and these are far more powerful and smoother running as well. The Riv's have the deep flanges, which I turned down to a better size and profile.

But the BLI units win hands down on detail and shell accuracy. The Riv. and IHC (a clone of the Riv. shell) have too blunt a nose with a circular end (viewed from the top), while it should be parabolic, as only BLI have done correctly in non-brass HO. The IHC and Riv. shells also have too sharp a corner on the 'horseface' cheekbones. The result is that the famous GG-1 stripes cannot lie properly around the ends on either the AHM or Riv. models.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

the

find

budget

they

runners.

something

that each

say they

stripe, and

4910.

open hopper

was

one out of

registration cards.

they are

have the

generally

higher due to

have

only

more

flanges,

The Riv.

parabolic, as

shells

result

ends on

I agree the BLI's win hands down on looks, but that's not what Jim originally asked about. He was looking for a large number (I believe 8 was mentioned in one post) of INEXPENSIVE GG1's, and for that I believe the IHC Premier GG-1's fill the bill.

Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

Yep, as I already have five, I want the detail,etc to be similar. Unfortunately IHC is only listing PC, Amtrak, and that unmentionable NH.....

If you see one gathering dust at your local guy and it says PENNSYLVANIA on the side or has a keystone decal, send me a name and phone number....

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

they are 12-wheel drive means they are not really early units, likely have the smaller flanges, and are probably decent for what they cost. I have seevral of the premier series IHC GG-1's and am generally satisfied with them. I rate the AHM/Rivarossi models a bit higher due to far better wheel detail, and slightly better frame detail. They have comparable pulling power, as the Riv's have traction tires, but only three powered axles.

I also dual powered three of my Riv. GG-1's, and these are far more powerful and smoother running as well. The Riv's have the deep flanges, which I turned down to a better size and profile.

a circular end (viewed from the top), while it should be only BLI have done correctly in non-brass HO. The IHC and Riv. shells also have too sharp a corner on the 'horseface' cheekbones. The result is that the famous GG-1 stripes cannot lie properly around the ends on either the AHM or Riv. models.

I have no argument with that. As I stated, I have several of the IHC GG-1's, and am satisfied with them for what they cost. They also offer the widest range of GG-1 paint schemes (MANY!) of any of the models offered so far.

... but, when buying most things it's wise to know what the options are, and the advantages, or not, of each choice.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Sadly, in addition to the MANY correct PRR, PC, Conrail, and Amtrak schemes, commercial model GG-1's have been done in NH, MILW, GN, and AT&SF at least.

And, some of the 'correct' schemes released aren't really quite right either, as they include the several one-off schemes put on 'Old Rivets' #4800, the first GG-1. This loco was distinctly different than the later GG-1's, and could be be spotted a long way off. Still, this mistake is much more forgivable, and pales in comparison to the above.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Jim,

I tried to email the following info, but got the error shown below. I also saw an AHM in the original but dirty box for $40 yesterday at the Finger Lakes RailFair, but didn't have the cash to pick it up.

There was a Pennsy GG-1 at my favorite store the last time I visited. I think it was the IHC unit, for 79.95, IIRC.

Family Hobby and Crafts 253 Vestal Parkway E. Vestal NY, 13850 Phone 607 748-0324 Fax 607 748-0328.

Their hours are 11-3 on Sun and Mon. 10-6 Tue thru Sat.

Good luck,

Bob McConnell N2SPP

The original message was received at Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:04:35 -0400 from cpe-24-59-108-153.twcny.res.rr.com [24.59.108.153]

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... Deferred: Connection timed out with eiger.ceet.niu.edu. Message could not be delivered for 1 day Message will be deleted from queue

Reporting-MTA: dns; emerald.lightlink.com Arrival-Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:04:35 -0400

Final-Recipient: RFC822; snipped-for-privacy@ceet.niu.edu Action: failed Status: 4.4.7 Remote-MTA: DNS; eiger.ceet.niu.edu Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:08:57 -0400

Reply to
Bob McConnell