Wrap on Conical Surface

SWks 2006 will "Wrap" text or other sketch items on a cylindrical surface only.

I'm not at a place with 2007 today, and wonder if a cone can have text wrapped on its outer surface (to simulate a label) in the current release.

Anyone tried it?

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo

Bo wrote in news:1183995526.502994.187630 @j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I just did it in 2006 (working there today). However, the sketch plane has to be tangent to the cone, so that the text wraps at an angle to the cone's base. It seems that there is no way to wrap text parallel to the base without some other steps. 2007 seems no different in this regard.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I'll be danged, I never thought of the plane being parallel to a tangent plane.

Thank you so much. This will be a help to all the others like me who are only partially functional...

Good Stuff - Bo

Reply to
Bo

Just to add to it, as I haven't tried it yet, but if you wanted to get the text parallel to the base as well, I would think if you created the text on a guide curve of the correct radius for the base first, then wrapped it, you should be good....

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

No "Guide Curve" setup in the Wrap command yet.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

No, but I just did it....You create a new sketch on a plane tangent to the surface....In that sketch, create an appropriate arc, then Tools--> sketch entity-->Text. In the sketch text properties select curve, then select the arc and modify your text however you want it. After you're done, make sure you change the arc to "for construction" or the wrap will fail. Close the sketch, then highlight it form the tree, select Wrap and select the surface....

If this isn't what you want, then I misunderstood...Sorry

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Interesting solution, but the construction curve would need to be a segment of an ellipse (in a conic section sense) wouldn't it? I'd also be interested (if I had time) to try wrapping text onto a cylindrical surface and then use a radiate surface to project it onto the cone. That could get really ugly though...

I forgot how to calculate the appropriate proportions of the ellipse to correspond to the angle of the cone, but a good drafting text should have an equation describing the relationship. You'd have to do some adapting, but that would be the meat of it. IIRC AutoCAD's ELLIPSE command allowed you to specify an ellipse by major axis and angle for the purpose of drawing isometric and oblique views. Those were the dark times...

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hmmm- Yes you are correct, it should be an ellipse. I was just playing around with the idea of bending the text first before wrapping, so it would appear correct after. (Funny thing is I thought of this discussion last night, as I watched "How it's Made" on the science channel last night with my kid, and they were making bicycle helmets and showing how the artwork for the shell had to be drawn distorted so it would appear correct after molding it into shape. Kind of cool show if you haven't seen it before.....)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

This whole issue started with an innocuous round plastic fitting, like many other parts I had done and "wrapped" text around.

The ultimate thing different than before was that there was 1/4 degree of draft on the OD of the part (not recommended in the practical wisdom of design manuals, but entirely workable under many conditions and materials, when not over packed).

That small 1/4 degree draft prevented the "Wrap" function from working.

Bo

Reply to
Bo