Conical Splines Construction

I have avoided coming up with a proper solution for making a cone with blind ended V splines on the surface of a cone (a shallow cone today like a bellville washer cone).

I have constructed an individual spline sketch with a new angled sketch plane off the longitudinal centerline of the cone & extruded the cut, and then created the "round" end cut of the cutter at the end of the spline.

That is OK & works, but doesn't represent the blind end of the spline correctly, if the cutter axis is parallel to the axis of the cone.

Then the last issue that comes to the table is that I have 240 splines to cut, and they do not lend themselves to using the "Circular Pattern" to create the set of splines, as the sketch is done on a special angled plane that can't be patterned (at least in Swks 2006).

Is there a clean solution to doing splines on a cone and then finally patterning them easily?

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo

Picture, please..

..

Reply to
zxys

I'm having a hard time visualizing this but can you create a surface that you can use as construction and then you could pattern the surface using patterned surface bodies?

--Matt

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

The best way to describe what I want to do could be thought of as machining a V groove on the top or bottom conical surface of a Bellville washer, with the cutter centerline parallel to the centerline of the Bellville washer.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

The real issue is that extruding up to the plane I need doesn't me then later do a circular pattern, because the end plane for a blind cut is only good for the original V slot.

Bo

Bo

Reply to
Bo

In other words you want to model the groove cut by a ball nose cutter where the ball nose cutter is set a fixed distance below the surface of a shallow conical surface and the cutter axis is parallel to the cone's axis. Once you have a single groove you want to pattern it about the cone's axis.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

TOP, you are correct. -- I've figured out the subtleties of getting the blind end condition of the V slot with the "ball end mill" right.

It is the "Circular Pattern" that does not work in my specific case, where a radial spline starts &/or ends with a Plane.

The issue arises with a "shaft" with a radial cut which ends a radial groove @ Plane1 when you want to do a pattern around the longitudinal axis that obviously doesn't pierce that Plane1 for all grooves, as it requires indexing the Plane for each patterned V groove.

LONGITUDINAL Splines on the surface of a shaft are easy, as the V cuts end on a plane that ends all the "Vs" of a pattern on the same plane.

But, if you want to do blind radial V slots on the Round END of the shaft, then the problem is apparent.

I've seen this & known of it and just avoided the problem by one method or another in the past, but now, I just need to understand how to take care of this issue, and I assume there must be a common method, other than doing 240 sets of groove constructions all manually (God forbid).

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo