splines and tangencies

ok.

Does this bug anyone else?

I have created a cam, and used splines to create a good portion of the surface.

Now, I was planning on giving the guy making the cam a few reference points so that we could check the thing. I give a dimension from the "center" of the cam to the center of a follower, which is tangent to the cam. ie: at

90deg, L = 1.625. At 265deg, L = 2.365.

Anywho, it turns out that you can't make a sketch object tangent to a spline.

So I can't give the guy any reference dims over a majority of the cam surface (I did use arcs in a few areas).

What's really mucked up, is that I *CAN* do a tangent mate or a cam mate to the cam surface.

So why the heck can't I draw a sketch circle and make *IT* tangent to the spline?

Anyone?

Bueller?

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

There is a way to sketch a line tangent to a spline, though it is a bit cumbersome.

A line can be constrined tangent to a spline if they share a common endpoint. In a new sketch, copy the spline using "Convert Entities". Trim the spline end point to about where you want it (draw an intersecting line and use the trim tool, then erase the line). Sketch a new line, starting at the endpoint of the spline. If your options are set for automatic relations, you should be able to add tangency "on the fly". Otherwise, I think you can add the constraint afterward.

Reply to
TheTick

Anybody who works with splines!

Jerry Steiger