Maintaining Tangencies?

Whether in sketches or in assemblies I've run into the problem of circular/cylindrical features mated with Tangent mates re-solving wrong.

99.9% of the time when I do this I'll want it to look like an '8', ie two seperate loops just touching. Sometimes SW will re-solve so that one loop is inside the other, or one cylindrical part is now on the opposite 'side' of the other cylindrical part. I've tried a variety of methods, more sketches, planes, etc to 'hold these features in place, but often to no avail.

Any 'sure-fire' tips on how to hold these bugger in place?

Thanks

Reply to
over_here

I'm a beginner, esp. at mates, but would a distance mate between the centerlines of the circles work?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

Most of the time yes, but sometimes the sketch will re-solve with the same distance, except going the opposite direction...

Usually it's fine, but when things get a little complex it can get tricky to get thing to stay where you want them....

Bill Chernoff wrote:

Reply to
overhere

Create a horizontal line (for construction only) and setup tangent to circle (1) and at a distance from the circle center to drive the radius of circle (1). Then, setup circle (2) tangent to the opposite side of this line. Now draw a vertical (for construction only) setup to run thru centers on circle (1) and (2). This should give SWX enough restraints to help the circles to resolve without "flip-flop" condition that you describe. Just remember that tangent circles etc.. sometimes need these added steps to avoid "flip-flop" conditions even if the sketch appears fully defined.

Reply to
Rod Knock