cam mate question

re: sw2006sp5

I'm wanting to have a roller within a subassy follow a cam plate that is an open ramp made up of arcs and straight lines that are all tangent. Select Tangency works on this cam surface, but with this selection, swx only goes for a cam mate (only for a closed loop). I've tried making a single surface of the cam faces, and also a curve along the cam face, but these aren't recognized in making a mate. I've tried making the origin/axis mated at a distance from the above entities with no success. This shouldn't be hard to do, but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

thanks, bill

Reply to
bill allemann

I made a simple extruded part with tangent arcs and lines... offset the profile chain by x mm to coincide with the path of the centre point of the roller... convert that to a continuous spline and extrude a surface loop from it... in the assy mate the roller centre point to this surface.. add a mate for the sides of the roller and cam to be coincident or whatever to constrain laterally hide the surface body should move around ok at least my trial did if you like make another surface with zero offset and use that to mate a sketch point on the circumference. this makes the roller follow correctly around the cam rather than slide HTH

Reply to
neilscad

Dear Bill,

Try making a surface offset of the cam surface (the surface should be single and offset distance will be equal to radius of the roller) And insert a new coincident mate between this offset surface and the origin of the roller, pls check origin is the centre point or else make a centre point and mate that one with the surface. Now you can roll your roller along this surface.

Regards Deepak

bill allemann wrote:

Reply to
Engineer

How does the offset surface become "single"? When making a coincident mate, the entire offset surface (from the FM) cannot be selected. If I click on one element of the offset surface, like a straight segment, the coincidence is only on that segement. When I offset the surface, I did the tangent select and there were no options shown. Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

how is the offset of a series of arcs, lines, etc converted to a spline?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

I think I found it, "Fit Spline"

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

sorry I should have said that specifically in my instructions sorry too you wait for a reply - time zone difference and all ;o)

Reply to
neilscad