simple? mate question

I'm having a problem properly defining a mate..

I'm constructing a bi-fold door of extruded material..

Each door is an assembly, essentially it's 4 parts all mated to form a rectangle. The hinge is 2 parts turned into an assembly - and that hinge is mated by the top of the hinge (to align it), and the holes are mated concentric.

I then have a larger assembly with the doors and a hinge. I have the back of hte hinge mated to the surface of the door; and each top plane of the doors is mated coincident to keep them lined up. I have 1 door fixed.

When I try and rotate the floating door - it won't swivel. This is the first time I'm really trying this, so what am I missing?

I reviewed the crank assembly sample and it doesn't seem to offer me any pointers - other than it obviously works :)

Reply to
Tom L

If your using the "Rotate Component" command as opposed to the "Move Component" command, that may be your problem. The rotate command wants to spin the part, where as the move command will let you drag the part. From the mates you describe, it should work.

Reply to
SoCalMike

Sounds like you need to set the hinge sub-assembly to a flexible assembly.

Right click on the hinge sub-assembly in the feature tree and go to properties. put a check mark in the flexible sub-assembly box and click ok. Should work now.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I think I follow what you are doing. You need to right-click on the hinge and tell it to be 'flexible' rather than 'Ridgid' In the hinge assembly be sure that it moves as you expect, which by the mates you described, sounds like it should. Hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
SW-Mike

Thanks everyone - that little checkbox did the trick - now I can call it a day since I learned something new

Reply to
Tom L

But,,,,, there are times when flexible subs don't play nicely, so use sparingly. Also keep it in mind so if you come across an issue, you will remember this little tidbit of info and first try setting that config to rigid.

WT

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany