offsetting splines /sketch properties interogation

Hi I'm having a problem with offsetting splines. I'm using a plane / surface intersection to create a reference spline in one part (PART 1). In another part (PART 2), I offset this spline first, then convert entities on the original spline to create a sketch that can be extruded. The idea was that I could change the surface profile if required and the internal framework would follow suit. When I modify the surface, the spline in part 1 updates no problem, but the splines in part 2 lose the relationship (relationship marker is olive). Delete the relationship between the surface/plane interface and the problem goes away - the splines in part 2 follow any changes made in part 1, but of course, the spline in part 1 is no longer driven by changes to the surface..... Any ideas on intersection curves and offsetting - the whole area seems a little murky and solutions look like workarounds, rather than part of a design philosophy by SW. Does SW create a new spline when it updates intersection data, deleting the original one? Hence why it looks like the intersection spline has updated, but explains why the splines in part 2 haven't - they are tied to a spline that no longer exists?

Is there any kind of way to see the property name of sketch elements (other than using a design table to get the name). A design tree for the sketch components would be nice, to make certain the splines in part 2 are still referenced to the intersection in part 1.

Does anyone know of a simple volume calculator for SW? - Trying to work out the approximate volume of several odd shaped tanks in the keel of a boat, a simple "click on the bounding points of the volume" and calculate the volume would be handy and faster than having to either carve a block to shape or work out the X-section areas and do some maths. Thanks Deri PS - many thanks to Dynabits for their spline measurement tool - incredibly handy for doing bills of materials for stringers on yachts!

Reply to
Deri Jones

Deri,

You could try creating a part called water and fill the tank with it. This will allow you to select the part and get volume, surface area, etc. plus you can change the desity to reflect the tanks contents as required, plus fill to the required percentage (usually 95% for maximum fill) to get an accurate weight of your vessel in it's various trims.

Another advantage - you can slice sections off the top of the 'fluid' part and determine the capacity at varous sounding depths.

Merry (an old Sea Dog) :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Reply to