Modeling a twisted timing belt

Help.....I'm trying to model a timing belt with a 90 degree twist in it. The pulleys are rotated 90 degrees from each other. Just a rectangular profile without teeth. Any help or a sample would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Dave H

Dave H wrote in news:WT9id.17326 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Apart from the twist tool in 05, I don't have a lot of ideas. Do you really need to show the teeth?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

iIn '04 you can fake it with a loft... 2 planes, 2 rectangular profiles, one on each plane rotated 90 degrees from the other and a 3dSketch from one corner of one sketch to the same respective corner of the other sketch. I can send you a sample if you like.

Whit

Dave H wrote:

Reply to
wc

Without teeth. After all these years, I still can't read the instructions on a test.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I think I would do the non-twisted belt section with a simple planar sweep or even extrude, and then do the twists using loft features. It's probably pointlessly difficult to try to do the whole thing in one go.

matt

Dave H wrote in news:WT9id.17326 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
matt

No teeth. Smooth surfaces only.

Dave H

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

I would say create it with a sweep. Create 2 sketches for each flat end. one for the contour and one for the guide curve. Then make 4 3d sketches make a spline between the each end of each set of flat sketches make the spline tangent to the flat sketches at either end. the splines need only to have 2 points. Then make composit curves so you end up with two contours. Make your profile sketch with a centerline that you are going to constrain to your profiles constrain one end completely to your path and the other only make the line coincident to the other path. this way if you have any variable width between your two paths your profile will not change size to suit. I'll try to make an example.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Thanks Guys,

I went the loft route. I'd like to see corey's example using sweeps if he gets it done. I tried using sweeps first but didn't succeed.

Dave H

Dave H wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

Ok it was a little trickier than I had anticipated but I think I got it.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

It doesn't seem that that works quit right try this

You will see the file This is yahoo so if you have an account you can sign in and see the file if you don't it is free to join. I would post it elsewhere but I don't have the means to do it.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I'm a little late to reply, but I made an example of this a year or two ago. I can't remember if I used a loft or a sweep :) I wonder if it still works, I think it was modeled in 2001+:

-Denny Trimble

Reply to
Denny Trimble

Dennis,

It still works and is yet another method to get the job done. I was looking for a timing belt instead of a vee belt but thats just a profile change. I've learned new things the last couple of days and that's a good thing.

Thanks, Dave H

Denny Trimble wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

Thanks Corey,

They both worked for me. I was looking for a timing belt instead of a vee belt but that only requires a profile change. I learned new stuff this week....a good thing.

Dave H

Corey Scheich wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

Nice work, you put a lot more into it that I did. Except every time I moved the small pulley, the belt rebuild would fail. I would have to go into edit Sketch, do nothing, then it would rebuild in the new path. But its always nice to dig thru some one elses work to try to see how they approach aproblems.

Thanks

Reply to
wc