Timing pulley terminology

Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology. An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements without knowing the correct lingo.

The broken pulley has 18 rectangular teeth, the belt measures 10 mm pitch but 1/4" width. The shaft is just a hair over 9 mm, consistent with a 9 mm shaft that has been knurled with fine, straight splines.

The toothcount, pitch, belt width and bore diameter seem to include all the important specifications. Can somebody hazard a guess at what to call the think I'm looking for?

If it matters, the pump says it's made by the Perfect Circle Division of Dana Corp. IIRC it was sold as a compressor for air-over-water pressurised plumbing in RVs.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Sounds to me like that covers it .

Reply to
Snag

Yes, but how does one express it in standard parlance of the trade?

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

By stating tooth count , pitch , belt width , and bore diameter . You have provided every piece of information needed to match your pulley .

Reply to
Snag

Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology. An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements without knowing the correct lingo.

-------------------------

Jim Wilkins

I feel a bit like the naval architect who watched his ship sink off the ways and realized he'd forgotten to divide by two 8-)

The belt pitch isn't 10 mm, it's five. Dunno how I screwed that up.

Thanks for everyone's patience, things make better sense now.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

I feel a bit like the naval architect who watched his ship sink off the ways and realized he'd forgotten to divide by two 8-)

Titanic's architect went down with her. He was a replacement, the original quit after management reduced the 64 lifeboats he had designed for to 16. However the ship went under before they could launch the last of the boats they did have.

Jim Wilkins