Pulley Hub Types

I'm redoing the drive in my lathe and the final belt drive is of the timing belt type, 1/2 pitch, 1-1/2 wide. Anyway I need to buy a new motor pulley and they are available three ways; plain bore, you bore and broach keyway to needed size, QD style where you buy a hub that fits the shaft and the pulley, and 'taper lock', pretty much like 'QD' but with different hub and pulley taper dimensions.

As the lathe is out of commission that makes the interchangeable hub styles look more attractive. Is there any particular advantage in favor of 'QD' or taper lock? I'm not particularly well versed in power transmission but it seems the 'QD' is somewhat more common and is a couple bucks cheaper than the taper lock style

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul

QD is a bit more flexible in mounting arrangement since you can get bushings that have either thru or tapped holes for the draw bolts. Taper-lock is more compact as the bushing is flush or recessed on the sides of the pulley. I think the taper-lock looks better for the same reason.

Because of the interference fit on the shaft, either is far superior to a bored to size pulley, especially for reversing loads.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I think the interchangable bushing type pulleys are so the power transmission shops don't have to carry thousands of pulleys for every diameter shaft size. They just need one type of pulley and an assortment of bushings.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Ned

Thanks for the insight. I think I have located a free QD hub so it looks like my decision is more or less made for me! Hopefully it will all fit the motor shaft length.

Paul

Reply to
Paul