Bridgeport Splined Hub Removal

It looks like what I lack, and sorely need, is a "Destruction Manual" for my 1J Bridgeport.
There's been a severe rattle coming from the upper housing for a while.
Judging by past posts, this is likely a problem in the backgear housing. So I've taken off the belt housing and now have the backgear housing completely off, but can't go further. It seems like the bullgear and the splined hub are held in place by this big locknnut (called "N-08 Special 5/16" Thick Bearing Locknut:") which is over 2" wide on the OD, and looks like it can be driven off with a spanner wrench - only I've found that it won't come off that way. I've peeled back the lock washer tabs and have been soaking it in penetrating oil for two days now, but no luck.
Is there some secret to getting this thing off?
-- Hugh
P.S. I don't think it's rusted on - There's no rust anywhere in the head.
Hey Hugh,
To my recollection, I've never seen a specific wrench for these. The common workmans method for tightening and loosening N-## nuts is with a hammer and punch. For the N-08 on the spindle, I'd use a punch about 10" long and with a 1/4" round end, held as close to perpendicular to the "teeth" in all 3 axes as possible. Just be sure that you are tapping in the correct direction to loosen it. Also, be sure that you actually have gotten ALL the tabs on the W-08 washer bent out of the way completely. Do whatever you have to do to either of these, as the nut and washer are available VERY economically at any bearing supplier or motor shop, or from a dealer, of course. I never re-use either of them.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:46:44 GMT, "Hugh Strong"

Brian,
Thanks, That worked like a charm.
Now that I've got the hub off, I've had a chance to inspect the hub alone on the spindle. It's got about .006 to 0.007 play side-to-side on the shaft, and moving it causes a noise that could be the rattle. Looks like it needs to be replaced. Now to check the bearings ...
-- Hugh
wrote:

my
So
completely
hub
be
it
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:38:41 GMT, "Hugh Strong"

That little play will not give you much noise. Be sure to check the shaft and keyways on the pulleys. If its a vari-drive, be sure to check the moving motor pulley. Lots of those have blown out keyways which will make a fair amount of noise.
If the keyways are blow.. rotate it 90+ degrees and cut a new keyway. If the pully hub is blown, bore it and sleeve it, then cut a new keyway.
Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Well, I'm dismantling the entire upper housing, so it'll either work much better, or much worse, by the time I'm done.
wrote:

for
while.
housing.