Top dead center finder

I just put a write up and photo of a tool to conveniently locate top dead center of an engine.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

OOPS! Forgot the URL:

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I found an accurate and perhaps easier tool to make is simply a solid rod in a spark plug. By bring the piston gently up against the plug rod in both directions, making a mark for each on the flywheel or balancer, and then splitting the difference, you can find TDC easily.

Reply to
Peter Grey

This took maybe 10 or 15 minutes to make and it sure is nice to watch that dial gauge as you rock the crank back and forth. It even gives you a feel for just how much slop (not much) there is in the basic method.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards