timing pulley cutter

Hi,

What cutter can be used to cut a timing belt pully 0.080" pitch?

Thanks.

Reply to
Thomas

Models and whatever wheels.

Gonna have to grind it by hand on a grinder wheel, plus you will need some type of gauge to compare. Haven't done it in awhile but its like riding a bike.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

What can you tell me about its geometry ?

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

Depends on the profile of the belt that goes on the pulley....there are as many different profiles as there are belt companies. They are semi-standard but every once in a while the profile goes way off the beaten path.

If it's not all that critical, you can fudge using a tapered endmill. If it is truly a timing pulley, you gotta be darned accurate about proper engagement of the belt and pulley surface. Tends to be cheaper to buy either finished pulleys or rod stock with the profile allready milled to cut to length unless you are going into production mode. Since you are asking the question, I assume you are making onsies and twosies.

Reply to
Koz

Guys,

it has a trapezoidal tooth profile. I just need to make a few for now, its a custom gear with internal bearing races. so a stock pulley won't work.

Thanks.

Reply to
Thomas

I had to make a few specials. I used a devlieg boring head tool like a flycutter:

using the optical comparator, I ground the insert to make exactly one pocket of the timing pulley. Machinery handbook gave specs. on shape. Put shaft in fourth axis, make cut, index, etc. Very fast.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thomas, Just buy extruded profile from somebody like Stock Drive Products and machine the bearing bores. Faster and cheaper by far I believe.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas