The Truth About the 5HP IR 2 Stage 8 Gallon Compressor

In my opinion formed from direct experience and having read the opinions and experiences expressed by others - They over rated it, whored out their name, and made it as cheaply as possible to maximize profits. If they had put a 7.5 HP motor on it then it would actually do what it claims and hold up okay. If they had put a smaller pulley on it and settled for a lower CFM spec on the sales sheet it would have worked probably just fine and lasted. They didn't do that and as long as they have been in the business they should have know it was going to be a lousy product. The thing is I keep getting better and better stuff for my shop as I can afford to. Next time I upgrade my shop compressor I won't "step up" to any "better" product from Ingersol Rand. I will buy something else. Anything else. Based on my direct experience its my opinion that Ingersol Rand can not be trusted.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

...Next time I upgrade my shop compressor I won't "step up" to any "better" product from Ingersol Rand. I will buy something else. Anything else. Based on my direct experience its my opinion that Ingersol Rand can not be trusted. Bob La Londe

-------------------------

My two are a 1/2 HP 12 gallon roll-around and the 3.7HP 80 gallon upright. By connecting the tank of the small one to the house air line I have the jobsite adjustability of the portable with the capacity of the large one.

The outdoor air connection is an inconspicuous water faucet, that takes a GHT to NPT adapter to air hose. GHT is the official abbreviation for Garden Hose Thread, which can be hard to tell from 3/4" pipe thread without a label. A 3/4" male PVC pipe plug screws into the female end of garden hose well enough to keep bugs out.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think I have three portable compressors. A baby one I only use for a brad nailer. A pancake that was used as a pre load compressor for an HPA compressor, and my roll around. They almost always sit around empty and in the way.

Well, I do also have two or three HPA compressors, but I have no clue if the gas motor on the old air force one still works.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think I have three portable compressors. A baby one I only use for a brad nailer. A pancake that was used as a pre load compressor for an HPA compressor, and my roll around. They almost always sit around empty and in the way.

Well, I do also have two or three HPA compressors, but I have no clue if the gas motor on the old air force one still works. Bob La Londe

---------------------------------

I didn't mean to suggest a small portable as a solution, I assumed you could add another stationary compressor adequate for the increase in the demand, instead of all of it, and run both when necessary. I gave the 1/2 HP as an example of a severe mismatch that still works.

The pressure settings create switching logic that lets you control when one or both are operating.

When I'm sandblasting the 1/2 HP compressor can't quite keep up, but the pause to refill the gun's canister lets it catch up if connected to a large external tank so it runs continuously. Without the extra tank it pumps to shutoff and then turns on after I start again, without much reserve.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think I have three portable compressors.

-------------------------------

In the 70's before industrial-type equipment scaled down and priced for home use became available I assembled my portable compressor from components, including a pressure switch meant for water well pumps. It appears to have separate screw adjustments for the pressure differential and the on/off setpoint, and they interact with each other. Do you know a good procedure to adjust the turn-on and turn-off pressures with this type of control?

If I'd had a second compressor I would have attached the control to its regulator to change the "tank" pressure without having to repeatedly bleed and refill it. Or I could have moved the wiring to an enclosed manual switch box (hanging on the motor wires) and the control to the regulator output.

I reset the safety valve by shorting the motor to the line in the control and shutting it off at 125PSI by pulling the plug. Reducing it allowed a larger motor pulley and higher CFM without exceeding the nameplate current.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

adjust the turn-on and turn-off pressures with this type of control?

--------------------

AHA!, I found it.

Jim Wilkins

I have a water well pump with a similar switch, and I have never touched it. Even when I replaced the well pump. However, unloader capable air pressure switches are readily available. I bought my last couple from McMaster because I knew whatever brand it turned out to be it would be quality. That might have been before I learned the brand and model of products on McMaster is listed in the specifications if you look. Or maybe I just didn't care.

If I had a second compressor pump for my shop air I'd use a sequential timer. We did that with air conditioning compressors on our family grocery store. Another alternative might be a regulator/check valve between two tanks. They would never start at the same time that way. One thing I also thought about was buying one of the big propane tanks used for wind generators in the citrus orchards. It can certainly take the pressure, already has a great safety valve, and I could plum multiple pumps into it. The thing is I already have way to many projects, and then of course SLJs take up a lot more time than you would think too.

Like today. I have molds to cut. Molds that are done and need to ship, and tracking shows the new shocks I ordered for the Jeep will arrive sometime today. That's just today.

SLJ #1 - Busted Laundry Hamper - Yeah, its just as tedious as it sounds. LOL. Its 32 minutes long and I cut out 90% of it already. LOL

Bob La Londe

[...]

--------------------------------- I fixed the broken handle on a Rubbermaid Hip-hugger laundry basket by bending conduit to fit under the rim.

I'm pretty sure my 200A service would handle two compressors starting simultaneously. In normal use they wouldn't if their cut-in and cut-out settings differed, unless the air leaked out while they were shut off. Turning one and then the other on should separate the surges enough. For you the "3 wire control" contactor setup would keep them from automatically restarting after a power outage.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins