Help - adding tender pickups to Athearn Genesis 2-8-2

Hi, I have an Athearn Genesis 2-8-2 that I'm going to be replacing the cheapo-bargain sound decoder with one of the new Tsunamis. While I'm doing that, I'd like to add some way to pick up electrical contact in the tender (this engine likes to stall in switches).

Can anyone give me decent instructions on what I need to do this? I have no fear of wiring up decoders, etc. - but actually modifying a reasonably expense engine scares me! Also, if you have references to part numbers, etc. so I can order them. (and of course a picture is worth 10,000 words.....)

Thanks in advance! Scott

Reply to
Scott

Scott; Try this site:

It shows an 0-8-0 tender, but it works for the Athearn tender too. Larry M.

Reply to
LarryMowery

Not with that trailing backslash, at least not for me . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

This looks very promising - I'll read it through. Thanks for the link! Scott

Reply to
Scott

One thing that I'd do with any wipers is to add in a small piece that is soldered to the wire to do the actual rubbing as this will allow you to replace the wiping part without having to do major surgery to the eiper or do complicated bending of the same. Personally, I prefer to wipe the track rather than the backside of the wheel which I consider the worst of the three metods, the other being the wiping of the tread itself.

Bob May

Reply to
G.M.

Reply to
G.M.

I have tried Tomar pick up shoes on some of my problem engines and they worked very well. Easy to install, adjust, and nearly invisible if mounted carefully. They can be electrically insulated, so should work well with DCC. Good luck

Reply to
Roger King

Start withn the concept of wipers as on this page

and go from there. I like to apply a renewable pad to as the shoe so that the spring doesn't need to be replaced when the shoe wears out. I'll note that I normally run on a railroad that an Athearn loco will stop from dirty wheels in less than 100' without any problems. Rear end helpers on trains up the hill are a normal operation and dumping the train from power problems basically doesn't happen. Operation with track shoes is RELIABLE!!!

Bob May