Update from last Christmas -- N-Scale for my son

Hi, all --

Last year around this time I posted a question regarding getting an N-Scale setup for my son, who was then 7 1/2. We were going with N-Scale because he shares a room with his twin sister, and an HO would have dominated both his available space AND hers. I was just rereading that thread looking for the name of an on-line store someone had recommended, and noticed that Peter W. had wondered about an update on January 9th. By then I was into the throes of my busiest time of year at work, and wasn't reading the newsgroup. So here's an update for the curious:

We eventually decided on a Bachmann Spectrum Steam set; my parents bought that for him, and I picked up some extra track and accessories, and a very inexpensive diesel engine he can play with when friends who aren't quite as careful are over to play. He LOVES it -- he has said on numerous occasions, completely out of the blue "THANK YOU for letting Grandma and Grandpa buy me a train set." The only casualty was when his sister decided to go play with it without asking him (a big no-no), and she dropped it the engine! We had to glue a coupler after that incident, and she was very humbled. He was a true gentleman about it.

Tumbles aside, we aren't big fans of the Rapido couplers, as someone here predicted, as they seem to disconnect sometimes. From what I've read, it sounds like you can replace the trucks with MT trucks, and we might go that route someday when I have time to research what's involved. Maybe for his birthday this summer. Hmmm....

He hasn't yet worked on a major layout, but he has bought a few Lifelike building kits and has assembled and painted them, and thoroughly enjoyed the project. He really enjoys switching the track around into different layouts.

He has stopped playing with his wooden Thomas set (why does that make me feel older?), though he occasionally hauls track out when a younger friend visits. But he seems quite wistful about Thomas, so I'm actually considering adding a Thomas to his collection when they become available. He had a Flying Scotsman on his Christmas list, and I'm guessing this is in part because it's part of the Thomas lore. He is also anxiously awaiting someone -- anyone! -- making an N-Scale Polar Express.

So all in all, a very successful gift, a very happy kid, and a grateful mom who gets the procrastinator of the year award. Thank you everyone!

Julie

Reply to
Julie

Hi Julie, thanks for the update. Here's some Thomas & Friends in N scale:

The Polar Express...hmm...that would be a nice do-it-yourself project for someone.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Thanks. They're currently just taking reservations (they seem to be out of stock everywhere), but if his interest in Thomas keeps up, we might consider it after the holiday season.

Reply to
Julie

Julie, thank you very much for the follow-up! I was hoping that everything went well and that you had another model-railroader in-the-making. Congratulations!

I can't belive that another year has passed. Yes, we are all getting older.

As far as Thomas goes, I have both the Thomas and James N scale train sets. I run them on our N-Trak club's layouts which we set up at various train shows. Kids love them!

If you want Thomas, try contacting Ken at Ken's Trains. He owns one of the local hobby shops around the area where I live. I think that he still has them in stock. He also does mail order business.

phone: 978-443-6883 (see the website for hours of operation).

There was a Flying Scottsman locomotive made in N scale. It was last marketed by Minitrix. But it is out of production. I've seen it on eBay from time to time, but it usually fetches a premium price of $150 or higher.

Happy Holidays! Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.