Re: Verlinden, Last Straw

Robert Skipper vented his feelings about Verlinden and said a lot of things about their polocies, quality control and general outlook..

Good stuff omitted.....

You only have to go back to one of the early Verlinden publications, IIRC it was "The Venlinden Way", Aircraft volume.. There was a statement attributed to F.V. that went something like "If it looks like a 104............" that ought to be enough information to make a decision.

Oxmoron1 MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

SNIP

I stopped buying their crap long ago, the aircraft sets don't fit, have crappy PE, are overpriced and fall far short of the mark set by True Details, let alone Aires. I never did buy much more than MG's and stowage for armor, everything else pretty mush sucks or as usual doesn't even remotely fit.

Reply to
Ron

Funny, he didn't say that in his F-104 Lock-on. As I recall he picked all the kits apart. Sorta soured me early on.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

But they have such slick ads in Fine Scale........ LOL

Reply to
Rich

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Robert Skipper at snipped-for-privacy@us.army.mil wrote on 3/12/03 22:26:

I have never bought anything by Verlinden as

  1. I couldn't afford any
2, There never seamed to be anthing worth getting and
  1. I get more fun building a kit and adding details I have made, however crude that bit is, than from adding somebody elses bits..

I does slightly. ok , big time , bug me when you see a kit costing ,say £5, fitted with £50 worth of other peoples work , in compititions winning prizes.I do enter compititions and I have been known to win and I get a smug , self satisfied ,wide ear to ear grin when I do knowing that I did it rather than I bought it.

Good luck and continued success to those who do buy and build with extras.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Upon actually re-reading the book, as opposed to my remembered impressions, I'll have to rescind the 'picked apart' comments above. It's still a very good book filled with photos of Belgian F-104s. I'm hoping that most things pictured are standard on F-104Gs.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Amen, brother!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Perhaps this is off-topic, but what has always bothered me about the Verlinden books is the fact that the English in them is absolutely butchered. I know that many Europeans use English as a second language, so I can't understand why no one proof-reads these things before they go out to print. I'm not only talking about spelling errors, I'm referring to grammar errors of the worst kind (ie. sentences not even making any sense).

Reply to
Pauli G

I see that in here enough from people that claim English as a FIRST language LOL The butchered English on places like hyperscale and modelingmadness makes me twitch. I aint no anglish expert but still...somebody check this stuff please

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

It's from the glue......

rich

Reply to
Rich

They probably copied off our home town paper. Anyone writing in to complain gets the standard reply, "We're taking steps to improve". Yeah, right!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

which paper is that?sounds familiar...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Lancaster Newspapers, Inc. They produce three different papers, morning , evening and Sunday but they all get the same lousy treatment. Since they're the only paper in town they can bloody well do as they like.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Sounds just like Baltimore!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

sounds like most cities now...one (lousy) paper...too many of us getting our gossip online now

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

And too many of those papers are foreign owned!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Part of VLS's problem is that they don't hire someone to represent them at trade shows and conventions.

Ever meet and chat with these people? In English or French, you can't wait to move on and get away from them.

I will never figure out why people who have that kind of attitude ever try to do business face to face with the public.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

VLS was the American arm, since divorced from Verlinden.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC