wow!

now there's a paint scheme for a modeler to use. anyone done it or know somwone who did?

Reply to
someone

That was how the YF-12A and A-12 were originally painted - my Testors kit shows that scheme for backdating an SR-71.

Rufus

is that second one a trainer? what a line up.

Reply to
someone

IIRC, the D-21 was a remote piloted vehicle for reconnaissance purposes. There was some discussion about setting up a system for weapon delivery similar to the B-58 and its pod but the A-12s were generally CIA aircraft.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill's right, they were (are ?) a CIA vehicle. If you ever get a chance to read the book "Skunk Works" which is the autobiography of the dude who took over from Kelly Johnson, he goes into quite a bit of detail on the D-21/SR-71,A-11 combo. Little known fact: We did successfully launch a fairly good number of them from B-52 F/G's during the 60's and 70's. Although most were over Vietnam, a goodly sized number went over mainland China. The Buffs wer based out of Anderson and were able to launch the D-21 outside of Chinese airspace. The recovery was the most difficult issue, and IIRC the book said that none were ever shot down. I could be wrong on that last statement.

Hope this helps!

-ahill

Reply to
Drew Hill

thanks

Reply to
someone

I've done the Testors YF-12A in that scheme, in both God's own 1/72 last year, and heretical 1/48 back in the 80s. I think it's a warning that my skills and eyesight have gone the way of my hair, because the older kit still looks better!

Reply to
eyeball