B-58 Ordnance Question

The c.1999 instructions for my Monogam 1/48 kit states that its payload was carried in the external pod. Yet the kit has hardpoints with some kind of missles mounted on them. No mention of them or how to paint them are mentioned.

The walkthough pics at cybermodeler shows just the empty hardpoints. So I am assuming the instructions are wrong. Will probably fill in the holes and not install these pieces, but just in case, what external bombs/missles did it carry and what color are they?

Thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Picture in one of my books that shows an external pylon with 4x750lb bombs.

Operating in Vietnam with bomb doors open raining down 750lb bombs. Most are coming from internal bays but I can definitely see an external rail aswell.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Ooops, scrub that - I read B-52, not B-58.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Picture halfway down the page possibly shows what you are talking about.

Four small nukes, 2 on each wing.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

thx much. how rare for instructions to be wrong !!??? :-)

still seems odd for Monogram to leave off paint call out codes for bombs, undercarriage, wheel wells...... thought they were around long enough to know better.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

The original design was for the B-58 to carry its nuclear payload in the external pod, initially the MB-1 pod, and later the TCP. Late in their lives they added external pylons to also carry four Mk 43 gravity nukes, which is what you get in the kit. Other than for testing, the Mk 43s were the only weapons carried operationally on the external pylons.

Reply to
Dave Williams

so they were tactical weapons for the battlefield?

Reply to
someone

And they were, I believe, natural metal. White was used for practice shapes.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

Reply to