Question concerning AIM-9/120 launch rails on F/A-18E's

A couple of questions concerning the load out on the F/A-18E/F

Are the launch rails that are mounted on sta. 2 and 10 (outer underwing pylons) the same as sta. 1 and 11 (wingtip AIM-9 launch rails)?

The 1/72nd scale Hasegawa kit (E19) has you install the wrong part (N5) for the AIM-120 on sta. 2 and 10. I want to install parts Q9 and Q10 in lieu of parts N5.

Would these be the correct launch rails. And are the launch rails for the AIM-9 and AIM-120 AMRAAM the same?

Also I have the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale weapons set X72-9 and the launch rail they state for the AIM-120 is the right length but only half as thick as kit parts Q9 and Q10. Which ones are correct.

Has anyone had problems getting the FLIR pod to mount on the fuselage sta. 5. Mine refuses to sit and conform properly to the station for the Sparrow missile.

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Nope, although they might be externally similar. The wingtip rails can only accept the various AIM-9 models, while the underwing pylons can be fitted with a launcher that will accept either AIM-9 or AIM-120.

Yes and no. There is no such thing as 'the' launch rail for these missiles. Older AIM-9 launchers will accept only that missile family, while a newer launcher will accept either.

You might want to check

details.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

There are two versions of the LAU-127 as employed on the F/A-18E/F. One is the HiPAG launcher, and the other is the "standard" one - the difference is internal in how missle coolant is provided. Either type is appropriate as long as they are mirror imaged on both sides; the shorter ended ones (Q9/10) are more prevalent...at present.

Yes - LAU-127 belong on stations 2/10 for AIM-120...not a LAU-115 or HARM rail as depicted in the instructions. Mount the LAU-127 directly to the bottom of the pylon - it bolts to an adapter which replaces the BRU-32. Also - don't forget that station 2/10 pylons are both toed and canted outboard.

At present, you're only going to see AIM-9 mounted on the tip stations of E/F...so don't bother trying to put them anywhere else. But yes - LAU-127s for both 'Winders and AMRAAM.

The ones in the weapons set maybe are supposed to be USAF LAU-128 rails...I'd use the F/A-18 kit parts.

The adapter for the FLIR is just the dead wrog shape, for starters - it's too tall, and the FLIR stands too far off the station. The way it fits is if you line up the aft edge of the adapter against the forward edge of the aft locator in the Sparrow well. (I hope that's clear...) Mine fits just about perfectly this way...but the profile is still wrong. Also - the FLIR head should be stowed on deck, so if you want to do it right fill in and round out the exposed window.

I'm in work on one of the F kits for our local museum. Other noticable problems I've found with the kit:

1) Centerline pylon is the wrong shape - the aft end should taper foward. 2) "Rescue" panel/access door on starbord nose - shouldn't be there. 3) ECS Aux Scoops - molding is misaligned fore/aft on left/right sides. 4) EFT - missing aft sway braces.

5) No hand controllers in aft cockpit (F model).

6) No representation of porous area over the wingfolds.

7) Nav lights on LEX appear too small.

8) Form lights on nose should be flush.

Also - if you're planning on building a "newer" production jet, be sure to look at pictures...the ECS Heat Exchanger Exhaust outlets between the tails have been redesigned...

Reply to
Rufus

Sorry, but that's not correct - they are both LAU-127. The LAU-127 bolts to an ADU-773 (which replaces the BRU-32) when pylon mounted. No difference in the rail no matter where it is mounted.

Partially correct - a LAU-7 will only mount an AIM-9 series, but a LAU-128 will mount AIM-9 and/or AIM-120.

BTW - the LAU-128 and LAU-7 share the same bolt pattern for mounting.

Nice site, limited info...

Reply to
Rufus

Then please enlighten me a bit further. The F-18 can't carry AIM-120 at the wingtip stations. I assumed this was due to launcher restrictions, but if the launchers are identical, that can't be true. So, what is the reason?

True, but it's a place to start.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

It's actually due to a structural limitation of the wing, not the launcher. I was personally involved in a demonstration where we bolted a LAU-127 to the tip of an F/A-18A and then hung an AIM-120 on it back in the late '80s...the amount of droop was, let's say...impressive. But anyway, that's how I know that the bolt pattern of a LAU-127 and a LAU-7 are the same.

But it is in fact the same rail, with all of the same interfaces, no matter where you hang it.

Yup...

Reply to
Rufus