240v speedway buzzbox on 120?

howdy all
are the poles the same for 120 as for 240?
tried posting this over in p.m.'s welding forum & and so far, no help
there. maybe somebody here can please help? i'm clueless 'bout ac
electrical and this place seems to be the bestust cluemart around.
i'm an apartment rat, so makin electrical smoke in da garage would
get me voted right heck off the island an lynched by the already
terrified neighbors and landlord. occasional weldin smoke which don't
linger as badly might hopefully sneak under the radar. i'd surely
appreciate your collective wisdom.
snagged an 'as new' lil toy stick 100 amp speedway welder dirt cheap
off epay to occasionally gob small stuff together. seller's ad said it
was 110v. when it arrived, i saw it was 220v. seller refunded (very
cool!) but due to low sale price, an el jippo brand wasn't worth
shipping back. so i now have an uber cheap spankin new hobby welder!
problem though, i rent and don't have 220v service . . .
welder has an inline twistlock power plug that looks like & mates up
perfectly with a 110 twistlock adapter i already had for
skillsaw--twistlock to regular 110v polerized wallplug. if i plug this
welder in usin that adapter, is it gonna short out & make smoke? are
the power terminal's polarity poles the same? pretty sure it'd be
gutless if it does work, but if it don't short out. dunno. i was hopin
it may at least burn light rod with 120, or use it for carbon arc,
maybe an electrolitic power supply, er? maybe a edm bathtoy/tampax
remover fer the ex?
if it would simply short n smoke as is, could i maybe just switch the
power wires around?
dang shame letting this shiny lil buzzbox just sit mitout building
sumptin nefarious with it.
comments/suggestions? gracias --john
Reply to
jmcman
Heh.. polarity doesn't matter in AC. We don't even have polarised plugs here (as far as I know UK uses them, but I don't know of many who do). It might make a small difference just for some sensitive electronics, but the main idea is that the polarity is switched 50 times a second for 220v, or 60 times for 110. And a welder isn't that sensitive :-) Probably the worst that could happen is the unit not putting out enough power.
Reply to
Ioan Barladeanu
Ive seen some of those welders with dual input voltages. Take off the cover and see if it was made for the global market
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner
Ioan & Gunner Thanks guys. I was thinkin the wires maybe were polorized onacounta one of da prongs is wider than tother both onna twistlock & the regular 120 spade plug an wernt sure if it mattered, or if were the same on 240. i'll pop the panel off and see if there's a dual volt switch inside; that's sumptin wut never even crossed me tiny gourd and sounds like a very possible maybe! seems funny about the 120 twistlock adapter fitting, it's been years, but somethin real foggy in the ol memory seems like the 240 twistlocks wouldn't useta fit the 120s, designed thata way ta keep boneheaded const workers from eatin up skilsaws, sidegrinders, drills & the like out on jobsites. gracias --john
OT drift: better set yer hot coffee down afore readin further Danged ol Hollyweird anyway, seems nothins sacred anymore . . . Cowboy Lines That Have Been Ruint'
Top Ten Old West Phrases That Will Never Sound The Same After That Damned Gay Cowboy Movie
1. "I'm gonna pump you fulla lead!"
2. "Give me a stiff one, barkeep!"
3. "Don't fret -- I've been in tight spots before."
4. "Howdy, pardner."
5. "You stay here while I sneak around from behind."
6. Two words: "Saddle Sore."
7. "Hold it right there! Now, move your hand, reeeal slow-like."
8. "Let's mount up!"
9. "Nice spread ya got there!"
10. "Ride'em cowboy!"
Reply to