"Hardly used" compressor with "very dirty" air cleaner

For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very
dirty" air cleaner.

Ignoramus5749
"Ignoramus5749" wrote: For your enjoyment, a "hardly used", 32 year old compressor with "very dirty" air cleaner. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have a used car for sale that has hardly been driven. All it needs is a set of new tires. ;-) If that were my compressor, I would be tempted to clean it up a little with Photoshop. Just kidding.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
I wonder how the filter got dirty.
Reply to
Gary H
I wondered about the same thing, and wrote to the seller. He replied:
``the air cleaner is dirty from sitting in a bucket with other parts and stuff, the compressor sat the first half of its life in a friend of mines fathers garage and then sat the other half in my garage since 1996 and runs perfect if you dont think so then dont bid on it. but i can guarantee its hardly used''
I also wonder how come the muffler is so rusty on a "hardly used" compressor that spent its life in a garage.
Ignoramus32263
That is a Wisconsin enigne with the old style oil bath air cleaner. If it was properly filled in 1974, it would indeed be 'very dirty' I have the same filter on my one lunger fire pump. Engine does not seem to have a lot of hours since the muffler outlet holes are rusty but still round. High muffler temps will rust the holes after a lot of on/off cycles.
The engine is electric start but does not have the tractor style magnito used on the earlier engines. It is twin cylinder with different size cylinders so it should pump to 175 psi easily (assuming it still does)
This unit looks like one mounted on a service truck. If so, chances are good it has some life left in it. The ones to stay away from are the ones used by contractors to run their air tools. Those are run continuously for 8 to 12 hours a day. These will get 2000 to 3000 hours of service per year.
Ignoramus5749 wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
On Wed, 03 May 2006 04:39:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus5749 quickly quoth:
That sure looks like a 20-gallon tank to me. It's smaller than the 30/40-gal water heater in the background of the top right pic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade! ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Reply to
Larry Jaques
On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:25:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Gary H" quickly quoth:
20+ years on the back of a construction pickup?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade! ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Yes, I agree, I recently worked on a horizontal compressor, 60 gal, and it was quite a bit bigger.
Ignoramus32263
It looks to me like one of those "like new - used only sixty times" kinds of deals.
I'm sure it won't be long before some dumb fuck comes up with a statement like, "well, it was only used sixty times for two weeks each time, under adverse conditions, in a harsh environment, but if the seller says it is like new, that's good enough for me."
Place your bids, folks.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I was just this morning perusing auctions for a hoist. One said 220# capacity, 440# if cable is rigged double. It went on to say that this hoist could be used to lift engines, big bundles of shingles, etc. The picture had it mounted on a piece of what looked like two inch pipe.
Why is it that some people can just look at a setup and say, "That ain't right", and others say, "Well, if it says that, it must be so"?
Just wondering.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
We get a lot of that on our local classifieds newsgroup and craigslist. A recent entry was for a "Brand new scooter" -- which had over 100 miles on it.
Ignoramus5749 wrote:
Reply to
Mike Berger
Steve, this goes a little above my head, what is wrong with mounting that capacity hoist on 2" pipe? Is it not able to carry this weight?
That hoist is sold by Harbor Freight, By The Way.
Ignoramus32263
That's plausible if it's just the filter housing that is very dirty. I've been munging out a garage for the past 6 months a bit at a time -- owner died last fall. Everything in that garage was "very dirty" though most of it was really in excellent operating condition with few operating hours, except for the beer fridge and TV. Example: 12" Atlas lathe, looked awful. When I cleaned it up a little, the ways looked like new and everything worked perfectly. That old lathe had no rust, and clearly had had very little use.
It doesn't take more than a couple of hours of run time to get the muffler on an air-cooled engine hot enough to burn off any plating. It will then rust externally thereafter whether or not it's run.
Reply to
Don Foreman
As the Firesign Theatre says, "It's free, only $1".
Steve
Mike Berger wrote:
Reply to
Steve Smith