Weird humming sound

Hello all and Happy New Year! I read this group everyday and post occasionally. I live in San Diego. I have a new house at the end of a cul-de-sac. The house was rebuilt after a fire 2 years ago. All modern materials and such. There is an almost constant humming sound that is definitely not anything motorized inside the building. Is it possible for wiring to set up some field that would be audible to the human ear? I have very good hearing and I would guess this is at about 200 hertz and about 65db. I know this is an odd question but most of you know about this stuff in some peripheral way. The neighbors are old women and I can't hear it outside. Thanks for any help you can offer Dan Peterman

Reply to
dann mann

How do you know that? Can you shut off the main power disconnect at the panel and see if the sound continues? That would narrow it down.

No, not at sensible levels, but magnetic fields could make something flap around.

Transformers can hum (at 120Hz with 60Hz power). Maybe noise could be mechanically coupled from something outside. What kind of area is it? Are there manholes and such like? Maybe there's a major power line underground, but it sounds unlikely on a cul-de-sac. Any signs nearby from any of the utilities? Is the power wiring up on poles, or might there be an underground transformer vault nearby?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have heard of these sort of sounds being traced to gas or water mains underground in close proximity (or even below) buildings. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

The most common humming sound is going to be light dimmers. The SCR's in them can hum quite loudly sometimes. Transformers are another common one. Starter coil for a furnace or water heater.

After that would be anything with a low voltage power supply, like a TV or computer monitor.

Then there are motors. A ventilation fan with an out of balance motor.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Are there termites in Sandy Eggo?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Doorbell transformers can be stuck in the darndest places, and can couple vibration to the structure. I have been living in this house for 15 years and have not even found mine yet!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

we had a noise that couldn't be found when we were painting the house getting ready to move in. the noise was louder in the basement and when you put your hand on the water pipe at the meter you could feel the vibration. shutting off the main valve quieted the noise but you could still here it. that winter the main supply line broke at the street just in front of the street shutoff. still had the original lead pipe from when the water was hooked up. the house was built in about 1905.

Reply to
jran

?

You've pulled your main breakers??

We have a noise issue with our home, many times a car sitting at the stop sign 250 feet away sounds like it's in our drive but we'll rarely hear a car across the street. Apparently the low energy vibration from the exhaust sets up a sympathetic vibration in the walls.

San Diego? How far from the base?

Reply to
Mark

Uh, um...feminine toys?

Reply to
Ron Thompson

That would be more of a buzzing sound.

Jim

jim rozen

Thanks Spehro There are manholes around and the wires are overhead, Infact a main sewer line runs right thru the side of my yard. The power company did shut off the whole block a few weeks ago and it seems to have started after that, I forgot about that and I'm not sure why they did it. I was simply notified at that time to expect the power to cease at midnight for about

6 hours. Thanks for the possible answer Dan
Reply to
dann mann

It might be the doorbell transformer I'll un hook it and see what happens. Thanks

Reply to
dann mann

Pretty sure these women have'nt seen anything like that in about .... never. Plus nobody could run a "massager" for more than ten minutes...Could they? :~} I asked around and I seem to be the only one to hear this. I'll trip the main breaker tonight and see what happens. Thanks

Reply to
dann mann

I used to hear that all the time too. It stopped when the medications kicked in. Now I only get it on New Years morning.

Reply to
Ted Bennett

Maybe an anti-siphon value ? I get that complaint often working on pools cause I need the water on all the time and some just hum all day. Drip system in the yard? That would cause the walls to make the hum off of all the water lines.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

I know a guy who got his house fried by the power company in Indiana. The transformer on the pole near his house blew one day. The power company came out and replaced it. Then weird stuff started happening around his house. Fan motors fried, the flourescent lights in his garage almost caught fire when the ballasts ruptured, the lights in the house started going from blinding bright to too dim to see by and back to blinding bright. His VCR, TV and Stereo all died.

Turns out they neglected to connect one the legs on the transformer on the pole. His house power was surging from 30 volts to 200 volts. He could see the wire hanging down with a pair of binoculars. Ended up in court. The power company claimed it was an act of god, like a lightning strike. The judge ruled it was an act of stupidity and fined them the $10,000 to fix all the electrical wiring in his house.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I guess it could be water supply. Never thought of that either. And as far as it being a New Years caused situation I am positive I can rule that out. It's just a coincidence that I asked the question today. Lots of people were shooting guns last night. Maybe I should check the roof for bullets. Remember a few years ago people were complaining about some low frequency hum coming out of nowhere in the lower states of Canada and around Wyoming and Idaho? Maybe the Navy is testing something around here. By the way. The weather is just awesome. In he 60s and so clear. No rain predicted for weeks.

Reply to
dann mann

Yup..it can happen. Kill the master breaker. Listen. Turn off all the sub breakers. Turn on master breaker. Listen. Turn on one breaker at a time until the humming starts. Turn off all breakers except the one that started humming sound. Listen.

It may take an hour to localize it..but you will find it.

Last time I heard about this problem, it was the radient heating in the guys ceiling.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

Yeap, turn the water and power off. I checked all the car windows this morning ( hmmm didn't check the Caddy) , my neighborhood sounds like a war zone twice a year.

I thought that was in Minasotaaa. Broniphonic underground noises around the 4 points I have heard of.

Yeah yeah , I have a freind call me all the time out on the beach in Huntington and asking me what I'm doing. Last time I was stealing sand at a condo const. site right in front of 3 suppers and he has to ring me to get the same answer of working on pools. He does the same work and he better get back before that other company starts calling me. I was out at one today running my quickie saw cutting lots of rebar , hope everyone was over their hangover at 11am. :o)

Reply to
Sunworshiper