Retrofitting spindles/headstocks on a 9" South Bend lathe

Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit a larger (5C capable) spindle into the headstock of a standard (3/4 inch bore) 9" South bend lathe OR replace the headstock completely with one off a 10K or 10L ?? Would it fit the 9" bed? ETC??

Reply to
EW

The 10K head will not fit a 5c collet any better than a 9" will. The factory had a special size collet for that model, the 6K.

I would presume to say, that with enough effort, you can fit anything anywhere, but it is going to be expensive, difficult, or both.

With the following that the 9" South Bend has, sell it and get a Heavy

10 with 5c capability built in. You will end up better off than if you butcher the machine to mount up a frankenparts collection.

Another option is to get one of the 5c collet chucks and mount it on a

1 1/2-8 spindle backplate. That still leaves the bore size to contend with, though.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Or, simpler, get a 3MT-ER40 adapter and either make up a drawbar or use a piece of allthread, and get some ER40 collets. Now you can hold up to 1" dead concentric in the lathe spindle. Of course, it can't pass through ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

better than a 9" will. The

Trevor,

That's probably good advice, but here in the Pacific Northwest, heavy 10 South Bends are a rare commodity. Do you know of a source around Spokane,Wa?

Reply to
EW

better than a 9" will. The

Trevor,

That's probably good advice, but here in the Pacific Northwest, heavy 10 South Bends are a rare commodity. Do you know of a source around Spokane,Wa?

Reply to
EW

better than a 9" will. The

The world is your oyster, so to speak.

All it takes is a bit of ambition and a few phone calls, and you can get anything, anywhere.

How do you feel about driving? Do you have a truck or utility trailer?

From what I have seen online, you have far better options available to you than I do here in Northeast Alberta (Cold Lake).

With guys like Gunner or catruckman in California, at least a couple other guys around, you should be able to come up with something within a days drive each way. Beyond a days drive (Long days), shipping starts to become an economical option, from my perspective.

Doesn't everyone spend their vacations on long nonstop trips to pick things up? :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 04:10:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Trevor Jones quickly quoth:

Or 1 phone call, given no ambition and if you have tons of money.

A short day's drive brings up the break-even point. I'd have spent $300 (8 tanks of gas) driving to Gunner's. Instead, I wasted 4 tanks on the drive to Mom's and willingly sacrificed 4 more to the Gods of Metal for going to GunnerLand(tm). I scored bigtime, too.

I can hear the conversation now..."Yes, dear. I'll drive the first twelve hours straight, then you take over for the overnighter. We'll be there in just six sessions! After relaxing half a day in a nice Motel 6, we'll then retrace our steps. Isn't this romantic, hon?"

--- -If thy poster offends thee, *PLONK* it out.-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

better than a 9" will. The

Last I snipped-for-privacy@aol.com had a rather nice Heavy 10 available for a very decent price.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

I dunno whatcher driving, but I'd get a long ways on $300 in gas.

I figure that if I am looking to spend two 14 or so hour days driving, or more, then it's time to look for a trucker or courier company to do the lift and carry. Less than that, and it's a good excuse for a road trip.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones