9 X 20 ENCO/MSC Lathe question

I have an ENCO (now MSC) lathe and the motor drive belt broke. Unlike the
v-belt, there does not seem to be an obvious way to loosen the tension and
my first attempt to replace the belt resulted in a broken belt. Does anyon
e have a video or a couple photos showing how I can release tension to inst
all new belt?
It is a Chinese 9 X 20 late with the original model number being ENCO 110-0
820, but then I have some other model numbers that I think are the MSC numb
ers: Model CQ6123B and 1100517.
Thanks--
Dave
Reply to
Dave D.
If it looks like this:

You pull the big knob/lever in the upper left toward the front. The belt is in the released position in this image.
The Harbor Freight lathe is very similar and the Grizzly g4000. The Grizzly manual is the nicest. Look here:
Leon Fisk
Hi, Leon
Thanks for the quick reply. I am familiar with the lever and how it releas es tension on the skinnier v-belt (part #237, shown on P. 57 in the Grizzly manual, which I appreciate your sending me the link to!)?.but I am trying to replace the drive belt (#138b). That lever does not seem to rel ease tension for that belt. I had thought maybe I could take off the v-bel t and slip the drive belt behind and then just sort of rotate the shaft whi le sqeezing the drive belt onto its gear, but it just seems too tight.
Maybe I?m just missing something?.any thoughts?
Dave
Reply to
Dave D.
ses tension on the skinnier v-belt (part #237, shown on P. 57 in the Grizzl y manual, which I appreciate your sending me the link to!)?.but I a m trying to replace the drive belt (#138b). That lever does not seem to re lease tension for that belt. I had thought maybe I could take off the v-be lt and slip the drive belt behind and then just sort of rotate the shaft wh ile sqeezing the drive belt onto its gear, but it just seems too tight.
I would probably take the lazy way out and carefully loosen nut number 206 on page 2 of the Grizzly parts manual for the #203 idler pulley shaft:

That should let the pulley flop around enough to work the belt on. Other choice is the motor mounts but that would be harder to get lined back up again or so I think. I had the motor loose on mine when it was new to get the little rice paper belt to line up and fit. It wasn't much fun...
FWIW I never run it so slow that I need that cogged belt. I just keep it on the motor directly using the smallest pulley for 400 rpm
Reply to
Leon Fisk
eases tension on the skinnier v-belt (part #237, shown on P. 57 in the Griz zly manual, which I appreciate your sending me the link to!)?.but I am trying to replace the drive belt (#138b). That lever does not seem to release tension for that belt. I had thought maybe I could take off the v- belt and slip the drive belt behind and then just sort of rotate the shaft while sqeezing the drive belt onto its gear, but it just seems too tight.
Thanks much....I'll give it a shot!
Reply to
Dave D.
Dave - the machine I use is, like yours, by number an Enco 9x20. It has 2 belts, a v type & flat one. The v can be shifted from speed to speed with no adjustments by forcing the belt off one channel of one sheave & forcing on with the other. Sounds like what you are doing. You may have the tension adjusted too tight. Maybe you need a different length v belt. But, what you are doing is, by my experience, doable.
Hul
Dave D. wrote:
Reply to
Hul Tytus
the v-belt, there does not seem to be an obvious way to loosen the tension and my first attempt to replace the belt resulted in a broken belt. Does a nyone have a video or a couple photos showing how I can release tension to install new belt?
10-0820, but then I have some other model numbers that I think are the MSC numbers: Model CQ6123B and 1100517.
Hi, Hul--I'm actually trying to replace the flat one. The v-belts I can do , but the flat one is toast and I can't quite figure out how to loosen tens ion enough to put it on. I'm going to try Leon's idea of loosening a nut.. ..if I can find that nut. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to h ear 'em! Thanks!
Reply to
Dave D.
Dave - a possibility: remove the v belt; remove the retaining ring holding the v belt/flat belt pulley & slide the pulley off the shaft. Now put the replacement flat belt around the motor pulley & shaft for the combination pulley and slide the pulley on the shaft and within the flat belt. Ought to work...
Hul
Dave D. wrote:
Reply to
Hul Tytus
Thanks, Hul,
Gonna give that a shot tonight. Separately, do you know how you tighten/lo osen the tension on the v-belt?
Cheers!
Dave
ike the v-belt, there does not seem to be an obvious way to loosen the tens ion and my first attempt to replace the belt resulted in a broken belt. Do es anyone have a video or a couple photos showing how I can release tension to install new belt?
CO 110-0820, but then I have some other model numbers that I think are the MSC numbers: Model CQ6123B and 1100517.
n do, but the flat one is toast and I can't quite figure out how to loosen tension enough to put it on. I'm going to try Leon's idea of loosening a n ut....if I can find that nut. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em! Thanks!
Reply to
Dave D.
Dave - from the looks of the drive mechanism, the motor need be moved up or down. And again from the looks of it, it's a messy job. If you find an easier way, let me know.
Hul
Dave D. wrote:
Reply to
Hul Tytus
Agreed. I don't know of any other way either. The motor can be shimmed (washers) some and slid a little back and forth. You have to watch and make sure the pulley/shiv stays parallel with the other pulleys it works with too. Lots of fun getting it all tightened back up square with it squirming around at the same time...
Reply to
Leon Fisk