Enco lathe 1024 info?

Just acquired an Enco 1024 Lathe, ca 1986. Looks like a nice machine. 10x24, several chucks, steady, Aloris, bench etc. I'd like to get a manual on it, but doubt Enco will be helpful here. Any of you have this machine, and can offer advice as to weaknesses, recommended upgrades etc?

Thanks in advance

Rex B Keller TX

Reply to
Rex

John D. Farr

Does it look the same as my Jet 1024?

If so, I can tell you it's a decent machine. It's not a Monarch EE, but it gets the job done. I made this part with it yesterday:

It's a custom eyepiece tube for my daughter's microscope. It adapts a modern Nikon 10x eyepiece to her 50 year old Wild-Heerbrugg scope.

Metric threads, boring, groving, turning. It took me the better part of an hour to figure out how to rearrange the geartrain for metric, but it did work fine once I got it.

The lathe electrics were crap and ended up in the recycle bin. I installed a Leason 1 hp 3 phase motor and a Hitachi 1hp VFD. An excellent investment.

I have a manual, but it doesn't say much. I don't remember where I got it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim I had run across references to a Jet 1024PY, which is probably what you have. It's very similar, but there are differences. Looks like the Jet may have been produced from the 1960's at least through the

1980s, so the differences may well be generational. By the way, what's that machine behind it?

Things I'd like to know obout this Enco:

What is the spindle taper? How do you change the belts (disassembly of headstock). Looks like original belts, obviously distressed, B29 & B32 sizes. Does it have power crossfeed? (Mine is not powered up yet) There is a big knurled knob at the top of the headstock that appears to reverse leadscrew direction, like a tumble reverse. Is that what it is?

Gloat: I got this machine complete with bench, steady, 4-jaw, 3jaw, faceplate, Hardinge Speed closer, Aloris QCTP (plus original turret post), live, dead, & bull centers, metric change gears, plus some miscellaneous tooling, all for $600.

They have other machine tools which I'll list in a separate post in case anyone is interested.

- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

My lathe looks just like the one in the picture. It's a fairly good machine but some of the things I've discovered about it are: The head does not rest on the v ways. If you ever have to take the head off it can be quite a job to realign. If you are machining work held in a collet the carriage strikes a hub on the leadscrew before you can get close to the workpiece. The angle graduations on the compound rest do not exist where they are needed for threading angles. There probably a few other nitpicky things I could say but I'm not sure they wouldn't apply to other lathe brans also. Engineman

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
engineman1

Sure enough, Enco no longer has a manual available. So if anyone were to have a manual they could scan, 'twould be appreciated.

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

John D. Farr wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Spindle taper is # 4-1/2 Morse I've had my lathe 14 years with the original belts and would use some sort of link belt for replacement rather than dissasemble the spindle and countershaft. For power crossfeed you move the feed lever to the right and down. Longitudinal feed is left and up. I think the knob you are referring to engages the backgear. If you engage it the spindle will lock up until you pull out the pin in the gear on the spindle. You will now be in backgear.

I have a 24 page parts and instruction manual, much of which is irrelevant information but if you want any specific info I could scan a page or two. Engineman1

Reply to
engineman1

Engineman

So the spindle taper is 4.5 MT?? Never heard of such. Fortunately there is an adapter sleeve down to 3MT included.

There is a lever on the right rear of the headstock that moves the backgear in and out. The knob I have is on the front of the headstock, upper left corner. About 1.5" knurled diameter, about 2" protusion, satin finish. The label depicts rotation, and opposite rotation, but I can't see how it affects the leadscrew drive. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out.

I guess the pages that would be of most interest to me would be (in order)

- exploded parts diagram

- Instructions for use of metric threading change gears

- drawing of machine with controls labeled

- Specs

- lube specs. Looks like there are 2 sight-glasses for the headstock bearings.

Right now this thing is still in the bed of my pickup, awaiting a trip to the shop, cleaning and proper setup.

Thank you for the help

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Hie the to a copy of _Machinery's Handbook_.

Open to the second on tapers, and in particular to the section on "ASA tapers". ASA took as their standard, a combination of three tapers.

B&S for the smallest ones, IIRC,

Morse for the middle ones,

Jarno for the largest ones.

But -- they found a big gap between the MT-4 and the MT-5, so they (or someone before them) created the MT 4-1/2.

IIRC, the taper per inch is precisely the same as either the MT-4 or the MT-5 -- unlike all other Morse tapers, none of which precisely match each other.

It turns out to be a good size feeding into a 1-3/8" spindle bore, with an adaptor for 5C collets. I've got it on my 12x24" Clausing lathe.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.