Enco grinding wheels

Has anyone used Enco's green silicone carbide wheels, and will they really grind carbide tools? Thanks, Walt

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Several years ago I bought one and was amazed how out of true it was.

Reply to
Gerry

Sharpen? depends upon the tool, you can adequately sharpen a masonry drill , a jackhammer cruciform bit, a stump grinder tooth etc but for metalworking consider green wheels only to shape carbide, to sharpen you still need diamond.

Most of the green wheels I have purchased from ENCO were Camel brand and were well made.

Reply to
beecrofter

========== Yes and Yes.

If you have the so called carbide grinder with the side wheels, typically these have a green rock on one end and a white rock on the other end in small and home shops.

To be totally correct use the white rock to grind the steel under the carbide (with slightly more clearence angle) and the green rock on the carbide insert.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

------------------------------ Watch out w'en you'er gittin all you want. Fattenin' hogs ain't in luck.

Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908), U.S. journalist. Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings, "Plantation Proverbs" (1880).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

The first thing you should always do after installing a new rock is dress it. You can get a diamond dress for under 10$ and it is worth while. The silicone carbide dressing stick work fine on the what wheels, but you need diamond for the green ones.

Always set things up so you are "dragging" the diamond across the wheel to avoid digging in. IMNSHO it is worthwhile to fabricate a holder for the diamond dresser.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

------------------------------ Watch out w'en you'er gittin all you want. Fattenin' hogs ain't in luck.

Joel Chandler Harris (1848-1908), U.S. journalist. Uncle Remus: His Songs and His Sayings, "Plantation Proverbs" (1880).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Listen to what beecrofter has to say, for he's dead on with his assessment. While green wheels (specially formulated silicon carbide abrasive bonded very softly so it will break down quickly) will grind carbide, the cutting action is more akin to clubbing off the tungsten carbide as opposed to grinding it. The tools that result tend to have very ragged finishes, allowing for premature failure due to edge roughness that just keeps chipping, albeit at a microscopic level. You're far better off to entertain a diamond wheel.

I'm running a Camel aluminum oxide wheel at the moment and can say nothing negative about the quality.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yes, but very slowly. I made do for a while with the green, but sprang for the diamond. What a difference.

I still use the green to touch things up and spare the diamond. Heavy removal or reshaping requires the diamond.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Yes and yes.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner