6" grinding wheels

I am looking to replace my bench grinder wheels ,does anyone know of a supplier of wheels suitable for Hss lathe tool grinding in the UK?? Seems 60 grit is the way to go ... Thanks in advance Will

Reply to
Chillybilly

tomol

They have them at aldi every 6 months or so ..must be about due now ..they have the white fine wheels and grey course . they are ok .had no trouble with them .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

They have them at aldi every 6 months or so ..must be about due now ..they have the white fine wheels and grey course . they are ok .had no trouble with them .

all the best.markj

About the one thing I wouldn't buy cheap is grinding wheels. They can be lethal if they fracture. I often use all sorts of machinery in the workshops at work but am not allowed anywhere near the offhand grinders because I dont have the appropriate formal training.

Go to J&L

and get decent ones. Make sure they have the right bore diameter for your machine, proper paper washers each side and a speed rating suited to your grinder. Hang the wheel from its centre on a screwdriver and tap it gently - should "ring". If it doesn't, send it back. Don't overtighten it and don't run it without the guards. When you first power up stand well out of line and run it for a minute or so before approaching. Make sure its dressed true before use.

If you are keeping the old wheels store them well out of harm's way. If they are done with, then break them up and dispose of them.

This is one area where health and safety is no joke - exploding grinding wheels can do a lot of damage.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

I bough a couple of sets last time they were on but 8" ones and they were made in Germany.

John S.

Reply to
John S