Athearn F7 wheels replace

While I don't know why you would want to replace the wheels of the Athearn locos, the NWSL sets will work fine. As another poster stated, the package will replace the wheels on one and a half of your locos. For what it is worth, I find that the Athearn wheelsets to be very good and sometimes have replaced the wheels of other locos with Athearn wheelsets for their added traction and ability to break through dirt to make contact with the rail. If you wish to closer couple the locos, you first have to take into consideration the curves on your layout Short radius curves need to have the locos coupled together with more clearance than with larger radii. If your locos aren't close to touching, you can measur ethe space left over and you can mount the couplers a little bit less than 1/2 of that measurement. My common technique is to file off the coupler pocket stuff from the frame and drill a new hole for the mounting screw further back in the mounting pad. The #5 coupler can then be put into the plastic pocket (also a good idea!) and screwed down. If you can't drill one central hole then you can also use the two side holes for the pocket or fill the old hole with a screw which you glue in place and then drill the new hole. Another choice is to remove the pocket and frame support completely and mount the coupler to the body by building a mounting pad with styrene plastic sheet. This will aslo require you to put some piece of plastic on the sides of the body shell near the ends so that the body doesn't rock on the frame.

Bob May

Hi Sorry for me bad enlish I have buy the follow athearn F7 diesels The New models with Kadee couplers

1 x 3201 F7A SUPER PWR SANTA FE PASS 1 x 3002 F7B DMY SANTA FE PASS 1 x 3001 F7A DMY SANTA FE PASS i search for a wheel replachement i think NWSL wheels are good i can not find the correct number of wheels is 40" wheels for F7 units correct? NWSL.# 37141-4, contains 12 wheels (12 axes???) is this enough for my tree F7 diesels?

i search second for a conversion th make the couple between the A-Units and B-=DAnits shorter. any idea

greetings from germany Juergen

Reply to
chessyger

Your english is fine. Your message is clear.

the Athearn locomotives have what is called "split axles". That means that the northwest shortline wheels will do one and a half locomotives since you need 8 wheels for each engine. I believe that the 40 inch wheels are correct.

1 x 3201 F7A SUPER PWR SANTA FE PASS 1 x 3002 F7B DMY SANTA FE PASS 1 x 3001 F7A DMY SANTA FE PASS i search for a wheel replachement i think NWSL wheels are good i can not find the correct number of wheels is 40" wheels for F7 units correct? NWSL.# 37141-4, contains 12 wheels (12 axes???) is this enough for my tree F7 diesels?

i search second for a conversion th make the couple between the A-Units and B-Únits shorter. any idea

greetings from germany Juergen

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Hi Juergen,

You are correct 40 inch wheels are correct size NWSL 37141-4 are correct replacements. You will have enough to do your powered unit. Follow the directions supplyed with the wheels. I don't beleive these wheels will work for your dummys. The dummys have a solid metal axle with plastic wheels. Not sure if NWSL make replacement for these. You might have to change out the trucks on your dummys. Kadee #33 couplers will close up the gap between your units. You will need to drill out the hole in the frame where the coupler goes. Tap the hole with a 2-56 tap to mount these couplers.

H> Hi

Reply to
Gord H

Thank you all

Reply to
Jürgen Pollak

Thank you I have show the wheels Diameter = 12,15mm (metric) = 15/32 Zoll

40" or 42" NWSL ?

"Frank Rosenbaum" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:zIEQe.20527$ snipped-for-privacy@fe05.lga...

northwest shortline wheels will do one and a half

Reply to
Jürgen Pollak

Hi,

Using your figure of 12.15mm, multiply by 87 for HO scale to give 1057 and then divide by 25.54 to get to inches (if I remember correctly) to give

41.4" which is closer to the 42", but I'm only going on your measurement and don't have any actual knowledge of the size of the prototypical wheel.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

Hi divide by 25.54 ?? i think correct = 25.3998

"Ivor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:q13Re.1214$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Jürgen Pollak

No, correct = 25.4 exactly.

The official definition of one inch is 25.4 mm. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Keith Norgrove" wrote | >divide by 25.54 ?? | >i think correct = 25.3998 | >

| No, correct = 25.4 exactly. | | The official definition of one inch is 25.4 mm. | Keith | | Make friends in the hobby. | Visit | Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

OK, thanks for the reminder (obviously I hadn't remembered it correctly). Just as well seeing as I use that figure quite often. So the correct answer to the calculation should be 41.6" then?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

It's a 42" wheel. Note that this is the nominal size when new. The wheel's tire may wear into a shallow groove, which may be fixed by truing up the wheel on a lathe, which reduces its diameter. There are specifications for how many times a wheel may be turned (if permitted at all), that is, at what point the wheel's tire is too thin and the wheel must be replaced. All the wheels on a locomotive are trued up at the same time, for obvious reasons. For modelling purposes, anything within

1/2" or so of the as-new diameter is just fine.

Older N.American diesels generally had 40" and 42" wheels. Newer ones have much bigger wheels, 48" on an SD760-MAC IIRC (if I recall correctly).

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Wolf Kirchmeir" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:vWiRe.7470$

Answer from NWSL:

------------------- Athearn used 42" wheels (12.2mm) - the correct size for an F unit was 40" (11.7mm) - you can use whichever is your preference.

------------------------------------

I have ordered 40", the correct size for F-Units juergen

Reply to
Jürgen Pollak

"chessyger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Hi Sorry for me bad enlish I have

1 x 3201 F7A SUPER PWR SANTA FE PASS 1 x 3002 F7B DMY SANTA FE PASS 1 x 3001 F7A DMY SANTA FE PASS

The Wheelset is incoming NWSL 40" Split axes 37141-4 are correct replacements FOR my POWERED F7 I have 2 UNPOWERED Dummys F7 Inside Frame. On these the Wheelset not work Which is the correct order for NWSL 40" Wheel replacement for the Athearn F7 Dummys Inside Frame?

Reply to
Jürgen Pollak

It's not clear what you mean by "inside frame." Do you mean inside bearings?

If the unpowered engines have the same trucks as the powered ones, but without the gears, then you should use the same wheel sets as for the powered engine. Try them when they come.

If the unpowered engines have a completely different truck, then one of the following should work (available from Walthers):

Jaybee 399-102 40' wheel sets (two half axles per set, 12 half axles -->

6 wheel sets.) These are described as being for the recent Athearn engines with trucks with plastic sideframes. Metal wheels. $7.85

Jaybee 399-1094, 40" wheel sets for Athearn dummies (6 per package). Metal wheels. $7.60

If you order from Walthers, describe your dummies precisely, and give the part number of the dummy trucks. That part number is essential, as Athearn has used several different types of dummy truck over the years.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir