N scale: Code 80 vs EZ track engine questions

Hello all-

I am a neophyte in the model railroading world. My grandfather always had the old Lionel 3 track system around the tree, and when he passed last year I inherited one of his N scale systems (Haven't seen it, it's in another state, not sure what type of track).

I also received an N guage kit last year, Bachmann EZ track system. I looked around, and for aesthetic and price reasons I would much rather go with code 80 N scale track. I got several pieces (60" of straight sections, and 4 flex curves) and a transformer adapter for a basic X-mas tree layout for this year.

Will my engine and cars from the EZ track kit run on the code 80? Or will I need to purchase a new engine and cars? I've been searching the 'net, but I haven't found this question addressed.

Thanks one and all for any replies!

Aodhan

Reply to
Aodhan

Your engine and cars will run fine on code 80 track. Be sure the track is level and the rail joiners fit tightly and you'll be ok. Check the joints to assure there are no rough spots.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Thanks! I've already sanded a plywood base, I was going to lay out a basic ovalized square for around the tree tonight. I can see where this could become more addictive than crack. Between last night and this morning I've consulted 15 websites and looked at 4 different methods for building mountains and scenery :-/

Aodhan

Reply to
Aodhan

plywood base, I was going to lay out a

I'm glad you're enjoying your new hobby, Aodhan! Be sure to check out Thor's outstanding All Gauge Page (if you haven't already done so):

Here's an inexpensive book that you're sure to enjoy with a lot of helpful information and a wealth of pictures, "N Scale Model Railroad That Grows":