Question about newsgroups

[Posted and mailed]

Hello,

Could someone please explain the difference between these two newsgroups:

rec.models.railroad and rec.model.railroads

Many thanks,

Art

--

Reply to
Art Robb

Art Robb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@freeuk.com:

It appears that one exists (rec.models.railroad) and the other does not. At least that's how my News server has it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

AR:

Newsgroups are organized by topic. This, for instance, is the group for political ranting, silly jokes about haggis, goats, and vicious attacks on anybody from New Zealand.

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Don't forget Dick "Velcro Boots" Laramie's advice column for those with romantic problems with sheep.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Actually, the *placement* of that s.

But depending on the placement, one is for discussion of multiple models on a single railroad, and the other for the discussion of a single model on multiple railroads. Not the mention the other discussions as noted in multiple posts to this single thread, as opposed to a single post to multiple threads.

Stevert (or is it tevertS?)

Charles Kimbrough wrote:

Reply to
Stevert

Newsgroups are organized by topic. This, for instance, is the group

the goats seem to have gone with John ...

In remembrance, Greetz, Wim.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

Hi Art:

I see rec.model.railroad and rec.model.railroads and rec.model.railway. None have any traffic. I have no idea how to start a new newsgroup, but the college kids seem to crank them out in quantity so it must not be too difficult. I'm surprised there isn't an NMRA newsgroup. My ISP makes available about 115,000. I don't know if that's all of them or not. Then there's Yahoo. So much info, so little time :-(

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne L

Where do you "see" that?

Through this link? news:rec.model.railroad

Reply to
Mark Mathu

... *where* did you mail this to?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Hello all,

Thanks for all the messages. Some years back I used to subscribe to rec.model.railroads.

There were over 300 posts a day and continual discussion about splitting the news group. Perhaps that has happened, as all Google Groups references to that newsgroup are years old.

Different servers have different newsgroups. It's taken me years to figure out that my server has this one with the s after models and not railroad.

I'm modelling East Coast USA 1890 - 1960 in southern England and it would be good to be part of a forum again.

All the best,

Art

Reply to
Art Robb

Hi Mark:

Where do I "see" that? Well when I use Outlook Express, I can see "all" of the newgroups and subscribe to the ones I want too. I previously said that my ISP makes available about 115,000, but I just "counted" them and it's more like 80,000. I don't actially use the link you showed, but that,s clever and got me to the same place. Do you know how I can add more news servers / news groups to my PC, because I have no clue how to do that, nor create a new news group on a news server, etc.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne L

But Art, as you're already posting here, you are part of a forum... :-)

And you're receiving replies to your posts, that means that others are participating too.

Doesn it really matter if it is named rec.models.railroad or rec.model.railroads?

This group is mainly good for bullshit sessions and sometimes even some useful stuff. There are many railroad related groups in places like

Those are usually moderated, so they stay on-topic. Also, many model railroad manufacturers have moderated boards.

Thats my opinion and I'm sure others here will disagree.

Enjoy! Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.