Electronic Control

Have never visited this grp so appologies if this has been asked before:

I have a Christmas train layout that I would like to start/stop electronically. The train is on an oval track. It runs through my little town and then dissapears into a tunnel. Here is what I would like to do:

When the train is fully into the tunnel, I would like it to stop for a period of time and then re-start, make 1 or 2 trips through the town and then stop in the tunnel again. This cycle would then repeat either with random or preset times. I think this would be for more interesting than just having the thing going round and round endlessly.

I would like to build/buy something that would allow this. Can anyone point me to a cct diagram or to a product. I'm no stranger to a soldering iron so am prepared to build.

Thanks for any and all ideas! Gord

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Hi Gord,

I've done this several times. I use timers (any good electr. shop should have them) and traindetectors that can sense a train on a piece of track by measuring the amount of current being used. Reed-contacts work ok as well but I don't like to stick magnets under my train.

Reply to
a.k

Lot of inexensive timers on the market with lots of room to add the on and off timer (pins) control points. Also look in an electronic supplier catalog and there are usually lots of timer relays available. There are probably lots of different timers that can be built, but I think timing the power into the transformer would be the easiest. Rollie

Reply to
Long Gone

? 2005?12?9????UTC+

8??4?50?10??Gord Schindler ???