Why "thru all"?

I've never seen "thru all" used as a callout before SW started doing it in with hole wizard. Is this some kind of ansi or other standard? I've also noticed that for some reason it's calling out just "thru" on some holes and thru all with others. Up to next seems to get called out as "THRU", all the time.

I like how the prefix callout works with multiple holes. i.e. "2X M8 DRILL THRU" except, I don't like having the "DRILL" word in there. Is have having the word "DRILL" some kind of standard? How do they know it's not "MILL THRU"? To get rid of the "DRILL" I right click, display options, define by geometry, and it gets rid of the word "DRILL" but it also eliminates the nice 2X prefix.

Anyone have any luck with tapped holes callouts working with mirrored parts? They don't seem to work for me. Been detailing a lot of mirrored parts with tapped holes lately and what a pain to have to manually type in tapped callouts. Then when you change something, the callouts have to be manually changed. It must be what they call manual parametric?

Just trying to find the logic here is all.

I hope the automatic detailing features in 2005 improve on hole wizard a lot.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Guthrie

I SECOND ALL THAT!!!!

Is the multiple hole callout new to 2004? We haven't switched over yet.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Some of the callouts can be controlled through the txt file Solidworks uses for this purpose. In the program Files\SolidWorks\Lang\English (or ?) directory are two files named calloutformat.txt and calloutformat_2.txt. The first one is the one Solidworks uses for hole callouts in drawings. The second one (_2) is a simpler version. Make copies of these files in another location (for backup) and then rename the original calloutformat_2.txt file to calloutformat.txt and give it a try. This is the version I prefer. You can customize these files to change how they work.

Good Luck, Dave H

Jay Guthrie wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

Hi Jay,

I also find some of the hole wizard callouts hilarious. I am particularly tickled by the "THRU ALL" thing. This is so much better than just saying "THRU". While THRU ALL could be useful with interrupted cuts, how often does this actually happen in real life (much less often than a simple thru hole)?

I too have found myself really wishing the callout would prefix the quantity IE - add the 4X for me. Obviously this would not be difficult to count the hole wizard points and have it report this number.

My most favorite (nice - double superlative) is the default for the counterbored holes - BLIND. How many times does anyone need a blind counterbore? 1 out of 1500 or so?

Also along these lines, when sheet metal is defined, default to thru and omit this from the callout. Blind sheet-metal holes are the exception, not the rule. This is a sad case of the creator not being the user, else these oddities would get weeded out in a hurry.

Hope away - I will hope with you.

Regards -

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Yet if you want to make an angled cut say a ground chamfer on an edge it cuts strait through.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (Sean-Michael Adams) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

SW04 can do this, but it sometimes gets confused, and other times blows the quantity away. So I have to add them manually still.

It's cool when it works though, which is most of the time. It even recognizes some pattern situations, and reports the correct quantity.

Reply to
Dale Dunn