Floor jack 'plunger?'

So I've got an older hydraulic floor jack that can't keep it up. I took apart the plunger assembly... hoping to find a bad o-ring. The O-ring was fine, but at the bottom of the plunger was a conical frustum (cone with top cut off.) made of some rubbery material, that has a split in it. What do I call it?, and where can I find a replacement? I'm mostly just looking for the right name of the thing. (rubbery frustum)

The Jack has the following number on it, 649N. Any other ID has been lost over time. I'd guess it's age to be about 30-40 years.

Thanks, George H. (right, I could just go buy another jack...)

Reply to
ggherold

Is your email address good? I've got a couple old manuals I can send you. One is for a Blackhawk floor jack and the other is for bottle and floor jacks. Parts are similar though.

Can you open/read djvu files? The second manual is in djvu format.

These manuals call that part a "cup washer" and a "plunger cup" if I understand your question correctly.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Leon, email is good. or gherold(at sign)teachspin.com I can't read djvu format.. but I assume I can find something on the web. I don't think I need a manual. But "cup washer" and "plunger cup" look like search terms to start with. If I think about it I'll post a picture this evening.

Thanks, George H.

Reply to
ggherold

If you can't find a suitable seal, some are available on ebay and maybe hydraulic supply places, one guy here in the UK repaired a damaged cup seal with Sugru

.

Reply to
David Billington

I sent them to the gmail addy. Give you something to look at :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts

Howdy Leon ;-)

Reply to
Larry Fisk

Cup seal?

Ned Simmons

Very nice. Bookmarked for future reference. Looks like a source for both reference and parts. Looks like it has reference for my old Pro-Lift floor jack. I'll have to go check the model number. It has a slow leak somewhere. So far it has been easier to add a little oil once a year or so and keep some old papers underneath rather than try fixing...

Years ago I knew a Larry Fisk, heavy truck mechanic in this area. Wasn't related but a good guy.

Now I know one of my competitors for those "lfisk" login names too ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks got 'em. George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Thanks Larry, Unfortunately I have no idea who made the jack.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Hi George,

Really good info on that website and you don't need to know who made the jack. Take a look at these links, show you how to identify and measure the seals:

Once you got an idea of the measurements, seal names... look at the generic stuff:

I think what you're looking for might be something here:

Leon Fisk

$20-30 for a single cup? Wow! Not giving them away.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, ID is ~0.23" and OD 0.47(8)" height is a bit less than 0.3" I'll give 'em a call.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

Hey Leon, I live in central Idaho and have all my life I am heavy and a mechanic, and argueably a good guy :-) I read this group and rarely have much to add I mostly tinker these days, working on a huge (5200lb) doall vertical 26" fully hydraulic band saw here lately

Reply to
Larry Fisk

Well that web link was a good addition. I picked an old NAPA bottle jack out of a neighbors trash several years ago. It's probably around a 3 ton and been well or maybe not so well used. I found the manual for it after some searching through the stuff listed on that site. Some trial and error because the model number and specs were rubbed off. I've got a lot better insight in how to disassemble it now, if and when I get around to it. Don't really need it but I don't have a small hydraulic like that. Hauling out a 20 ton for 1 ton work is a bit of overkill. And my small mechanical jacks don't fit so well sometimes...

My local Larry was a pretty stout character too :) Seems like just yesterday I remember my boss saying, "Head over to Acme Transport and see Larry in the garage. He's got a couple trucks that need the radios checked out." As soon as Larry caught my last name I had a bud on my side of things :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk