I lost my balls - hydraulic jack

My hand pallet truck had started leaking down when carrying a large load, so
I thought I'd fix it. I took the hydraulic jack part of the truck apart.
When I had the caps off the two valve assemblies off, I dropped the jack
over accidentally (oh shit) and three ball bearings went rolling across the
floor. Damned if I can figure out how to put it back together.
I went to the local fork truck repair shop and they had not even heard of
this make of pallet truck. Its a Hale brand probably from the late 70s.
Anyone heard of this? Or, I bet most hydraulic fork jacks are the same.
Anyone have a typical assembly of a hydraulic fork truck jack?
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Shoulda just been 2wo balls----Oh yeah, 2 in the pump, and one under the shut-off--let-down valve. Bust up a few old ball bearings till you find the right size---when you find the right size, put three of em in place, whack 'em with a punch & hammer to renew the seat, throw those 3 away & put in 3 new ones..
Karl Townsend wrote:
Reply to
Jerry J. Wass
This was my best guess. On the two in the pump, the top one is held down by a spring under the cap. The bottom one just sits there, or did I lose a spring? It seems to pump diesel fuel just fine.
Thanks for your help.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Sometimes, the two in the pump are different sizes with the smaller of the two being the first one in the hole on re-assembly.
Shawn
Reply to
Shawn
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:43:20 -0700, "Jerry J. Wass" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Really strange. I was just fixing an engine crane. The pump has two balls, and the stop/let down valve has the other one. The pump's were encaged though.
Much mirth in the shop where I bought the main seals about my balls being the problem and take three aspirin before hitting them with a hammer. I paid for the seals for the value of the hint........and here it is for free! :-<
If you have trouble getting the balls, try a hydraulic repair shop. Where I went they just had that sort of stuff. And I used softer steel (a nail) to tap the balls. It seated them fine, and I used the old balls. ***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick