hydraulic fluid

Can brake fluid be used in hydraulic jacks? I cant imagine that theres any big differences in the rubbers or plastics used in jacks or brake cylinders.

Reply to
Wwj2110

Tom Wait

Apparently someone hasn't been attending their sex-ed classes.....

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I am ROTF I have to use that comment when I see someone trying it. One of the perpetrators is my foreman who suggested latex gloves from the first aid station to spread grease on a track. Randy

Apparently someone hasn't been attending their sex-ed classes.....

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

You mean he could create more trouble than just owing a Citreon? No really I am sort of fond of Citreons. Got my first ride and look see of them while i the Army i Vietnam. That place was full of Citreons. The next time I saw a Citreon was at a Citreon dealership in Germany, and I sort of fellin love with that car. I looked pretty darn good, and had lots of nice features, but don;t have a clue as to how the hold up.

I h>x-I'll take this opportunity to ask a similar question that I have had for a

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

I was about to make the same comments. The only downside to ATF vs. hydraulic oil I can forsee would be the detergent additives, but doubt that would be a big deal in a jack.

I would definitely avoid bar oil, way too heavy and whatever is added for tackiness is a bad thing.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Hyd brake fluid is not a petrol based fluid. DOT3 and DOT4 are alcohols (hence the propensity [I paid a full $0.25 for that word] to absorb water) and DOT5 is a silicone oil base.

Hydraulic oil is a petrol base, generally with high pressure additives, non-detergnt (detergents are corrosive, tend to keep contamination in solution, and attract water), and often multigrade.

Oils like bar oil for a chainsaw have addatives to make them sticky- bad news for hydraulics.

Most hydraulic oils are reasonably compatible with each other in service, if they are similar grades (ex: John Deere multitrans, New Holland/Ford general purpose multigrade (I don't remember the name), Massey Furgusen multigrade, etc are all fine mixed. Non-multigrade are ok mixed as well. If the system wants multigrade, don't mix in the non with it, tho.

Auto trans fluid is a BIG no-no. Dexron types have seem to cause pump problems (I'm not sure why) but, as anyone with a Ford knows, the Ford types hae grit in them as a friction enhancer for the shifter bands. Makes a mess in a hydraulic system.

Power steering fluid hasn't caused major problems in a pinch, but I drain and bleed as soon as I can.

Hand/bottle jacks take a different weight oil than power hydraulics, but otherwise similar, AFAIK. If you are lifting anthing you care about, or are lifting where a failure could cause injury (what happens if the jack drops and the car goes to ground while you're changing that tire?) use the right oil.

e (who has had to drain and flush a 1968 Euclid articulated after some idiot mistook the hydraulic fill for the fuel fill and pumped it full of diesel oil, despite the big placard that said "HYDRAULIC FLUID ONLY".... Bleeding it waas a bitch, and the hydraulic fluid is still pink.)