pallet jack repair - parts avail? special tools needed?

resources are tight, but I need a pallet jack. contemplating buying used non-working & repaiir it. two are offered:

one at $50 "not used it for about 3 years now. Went to pump it up and the side plunger is stuck"

and one at $40: "jack part needs service, as I haven't used it for several years"

unclear at this point what their brand names and model numbers are. inferences are the lower one can be delivered to me free. add'l info from sellers 'pending'. I've rebuilt numerous master and wheel cylinders, and have hones all sizes for engine block and brake cylinders, but've I've never done any hydraulic repairs...

got a few 'broad general' questions:

are hydraulic (rubber) parts available =by-dimension=? eg what for brake cylinder repair jobs would be called "cups"? and are any "specialty tools" needed to dismantle the cylinders?

are there any 'sources' for pallet jack common repair parts that're "better than others"? mostly the 'cylinder rubbers', but maybe wheels?

thanks much for tips,

toolie

Reply to
dave

-snip-

I've been here a few times. It has been proven to me numerous times that it is cheaper to get a new one. The last time, one of the guys found a used one needing repair for $50. He priced out the needed parts and figured the number of hours to repair it and it was a wash...except the new one had a warrantee and he could be doing something to make money rather than repairing the jack. Unless you do it as a hobby or you're on a bunny hunt, get a new one and do what you do best. Look on the web for a deal.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Dave, Global Industries has these jacks for $189.00 (after a $50.00 rebate which I hate dealing with). I work at a military maintenance shop full time and anytime one of these come in for repair we just wash it out. Finding the parts can be a hassle and sometimes the cost is more than the jack is worth anyway.

You will easily have over $100 in this by the time you are done repairing it (if it is repairable).

Here is the link to Global's site:

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, I would check them out too. That would save shipping.

Mike

Reply to
mj

I would not mess with getting broken pallet jacks and repairing them. Just not worth the time. You can get a working one for $140.

If, contrary to my advice, you decide to acquire a broken pallet jack, do not pay more than $5.

Ignoramus5533

But do bear in mind that pallet jacks aren't all born equal. Some will prove rugged and durable and others will fall to bits if you use them a lot. If you find a good quality jack with a simple fault, you could be on to a winner. But it's a project for someone with an abundance of time and ingenuity and little money. Ask around and you might get a broken jack free.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I got my pallet jack by using forklift to hoist it out of the dumpster I found it in. Rear wheel was broken in half. I simply machined a new one out of an aluminum round, put in a bronze bushing and a grease zerk. Cost of the materials was nothing..stuff I had on hand. My time...time spent on machining and building...hobby time..is free (to me). It was an intersting project, so I call it a win-win..for me.

Your mileage may vary

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I think it depends a little on how broken it is; one that I bought for $25 needed only a 10-32 nut, to fix the link to the pressure release.

I needed a pallet jack while unloading a truck into a storeroom, and looked at renting one but couldn't find a good price (ie, they wanted forklift rental rates for the pallet jack) so went and talked to the manager at a local grocery store. He had a dozen slightly- broken, heavily-used pallet jacks back of the store, and sold me my pick of them for $25 each.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

I picked one up for $5 a couple of years ago but haven't gotten around to repairing it yet. I did find a source for repair kits though:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I have pulled maybe 4 or 5 out of Wally Worlds dumpsters in the last year or so.......all any of them needed was axles on the front rollers.....easy fix....no money out of my pocket just time, and I can sell em for $75 fairly easy.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy

You anywhere near Milwaukee, Roy? I wouldn't mind having a pallet jack (Iggy, you got one?)

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, I have no space for a pallet jack. I am trying to get rid of Stuff now rather than get more Stuff. I am actually pissed (as my wife is, as well) that I use up so much of the garage space for various crap. I need to sell stuff.

For handling palletized stuff, I use other MH equipment such as crane and hoist. I have various rollers that can also help move stuff in a pinch.

Did I forget to say that I am pissed off by lack of usable space?

Ignoramus21085

A pallet jack can be stored under a small lathe, making the latter portable.

And you can't have too much "stuff", but you can have too little shop/storage space!

- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX

Ignoramus21085 wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Yeah, I know, that's why I was hoping you had one.

I'm filling a bin right now, and one of these days I'm gonna have an ebay-listing-orgy of activity.

Couple times, yes. Understood completely. Stuff expands to exceed the space available. Iggy's Law, I think, isn't it?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oh oh...his obsession has mutated....

Which is pretty much typical of our breed.

Chuckle...sigh...cringe

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yeah. That's why I have a container full of tools at work while I get ready to build a 16.2m by 13.2m workshop. Hopefully it won't fill up before I run out of interest, but the flip side is I'd finally have space for a big planer, and I know where there is one sitting....

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley