Modifying a bottle jack for press use

I scrounged a small press frame some time back, but it was missing the hydraulics, so its been languishing in the back 40 for sometime, and
last week I decided to experiments a bit. Leigh Knudsen told me one of his buds used a bottle jack, by simply turning it upside down and adding an outside reservoir. So I tried it.
Having a small 6 ton import (Allied) bottle jack surplus, I used it.
I bolted a 3/4" plate to the underside of the top of the press frame and machined a pair of brackets to hold the jack upside down against the plate.
I then pulled the filler plug on the jack body, and tapped it to 1/8" pipe, and installed a hose barb, with a bit of hose running upwards to a reservoir made from a piece of 1' hose clamped to an upright on the top of the press frame. Oddly enough..I didn't have anything suitable for a reservoir around. (making notes to scrounge...), and filled both the jack, and the reservoir with hydraulic oil.
Now came the big problem..bleeding all the air out of the jack. I tried various methods, and finally settled on two ways. Pulling the valve out (be careful, there is a ball check valve that will pop out) and cycling the ram by hand, brought out a lot of air. (cover the hole with your finger on the suck stroke). I repeated this a dozen times or so, until I stopped feeling that bouncy bit in the ram as it pushed air. I also drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole near the top of the bottle and standing the jack upright, pushed down on the ram and a fair more bit of air came out, then sealed the hole with a screw and a bit of thread dope.
I took a big washer, unscrewed the adjustment screw from the end of the ram, put the washer over the end of the ram, and replaced the screw. A hole drilled in the washer got one end of a heavy screen door spring leading to bolt inside the top of the press frame, to retract the ram when pressure was released.
I like the ability to use the screw at the end of the jack ram for fine adjustments before pumping it up, and its handy if your blocks are too short and saves you from having to scramble around looking for another block or three.
The only downside to doing this..is the pump handle is on the left, and you have to pump UP wards on the power stroke.
My particular jack drips a drop or two of oil from someplace (probably the pump seal) every day, but its not a big concern to me.
Oh.. a further note..you can make your reseviour out of PVC pipe or whatever, but make sure its capacity is a lot bigger than you think you will need. As I was bleeding air..I was filling the resiviour, and found that when you retract the ram..it moves a LOT of oil into the resivior..more than my first attempt would hold.
When I get around to it, Ill put a bigger jack in the frame, modified as above. The little 6 ton one has already been handy as hell.
And it looks a lot better than the standard upright jack with a stinger welded to its ass end and a bunch of springs. Shrug.
Gunner
"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Gunner,
I skip around on this list, but mostly read your posts... a voice in the wilderness!
I'm wondering why the jack needs to be inverted? I've been using mine for 20 years or so, and the only change has been from a 6 ton jack to a 12 ton. Mine was deliberately made too small so it would be relatively strong. It usually fits my needs.
If necessary, the jack can be removed for other uses, but I have quite a few others.
http://members.toast.net/gwill/album/Shop/Shop_press.jpg
George Willer

And very nice it is. However..my press only has one moving part. The ram. Well..the screw adjustable end of the ram also..but..
Only one spring, no pulleys, no stinger to weld crooked, nada. Minimal parts, minimal construction, easy to do. Shrug. I wanted to see if it could be done, and it can. My next task is to put a hyraulic pressure gauge on it. But this will involve taking the jack apart and drilling two holes.
Respects
Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Maybe you should fill your jack reservoir with Mountain Dew. At least then the clean-ups would all smell the same!
:)
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com =================================================
brought forth from the murky depths:

<g>
I'm wondering why he didn't just take a 10T porta-power and tack weld it into the press frame. Having the extended pump is much nicer. You can sit in a chair and watch your parts go together while you pump it on the floor. Or hook up an air-powered oil pump to the thing for more action. <ar ar ar>
-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise. www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:12:19 GMT, Larry Jaques

Money. No 10T portapower in my stockpiles. But I do have several bottle jacks.
Gunner
"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
brought forth from the murky depths:

What's that? I'm aware of the theory, but...

Why go to the trouble of inversion when tacking a rod onto the bottom of the jack or platform would do? Seems like a whole lot more work and adds potential leaks.
-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise. www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:07:25 GMT, Larry Jaques

Heck, I have an air-over-hydraulic porta-power, but nothing to do with it - it has a 3M MS2 cable-splicing head on it with no QD coupling, and I'm not a cable splicer anymore...

Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel by making an upside-down bottle jack? All the cheap presses I've seen have a standard upright bottle jack clamped to a big H follower arm on the press verticals. With a couple of big return springs flanking the bottle jack to counterbalance the arm.
The press tooling clamps to the bottom of the sliding arm, and when you press something the jack goes down and the cylinder stays put.
--<< Bruce >>--
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:41:13 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman

Yup. Sure do. So you need the Big H follower arm, the big return springs, a rod welded to the bottom of the press as your pusher etc.

Yup, so you need that sliding arm, and what not.
With my work around, you only need....the jack and a piece of hose.
Gunner
"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:07:25 GMT, Larry Jaques

The only work involved was tapping the filler hole and bleeding the jack. I think it took me perhaps 45 minutes total.
Now..about taking a rod to the bottom of the jack..how do you make the jack move the rod?

Come now, Gunner. You've seen the sliding platform or the movable jack-on-a-springset half a gazillion times by now. If in doubt, go looky purty pitchers: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber7999
-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise. www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 04:03:58 GMT, Larry Jaques

Yup. And my setup doesnt need any of the extra bells and whistles. Shrug. Which is why I tried this in the first place. I wanted something ultra simple and minimalist.
I was just passing on the results of my way of doing something "outside the box".
Shrug, I used it again this mornng before going to LA, to press out some wheel bearings for the Mexian neighbor. Worked like a champ.
Each to their own.
Gunner
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

I have a big press I can use but sometimes it would be handy to have a small press around for bearings and such but I hadn't built one with the bottle jack sitting upright and an extension on the bottom because I didn't like the way it looked. I had examined those a lot of times and always walked away thinking to myself, "Sumthin' just ain't right about that." So now I'll turn one upside down and make it work the way I want it to. And when i'm done it may leak oil but that's OK. I had an E-Type that leaked oil but it sure did look right.
Richard Coke

Your plan works Ok for small jacks. But when you get up in the 20T and larger range it isn't so good. The problem is that the relatively long and small diameter ram can deflect, especially if the resistance offered by the load isn't dead square and even. The H frame method, often augmented by 4 guide rods, is much more resistant to sideways deflection.
Gary
Gary Coffman wrote:

Good point. Another is that the probe on my 20T press fits in a socket and is secured from falling out with a set screw. I have at least half a dozen different ones I've made for various tasks.
Ted

Hummm well, I guess Ill just have to move the work a bit higher up and not extend all of the ram. I wonder how the porta power type rams get away from deflection, given the rams are as long.
Gunner
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

They don't, and if you've had one go BLING across the room you'd know that. :-)
Gary

Nope..never seen that happen before. So I guess if I need enough power to form my own diamond, Ill be sure to make up one of the other kinds. This one works just fine for me. Used it twice today. Pressed out a set of bearings for the Covel OD grinder. Pressed in a new set.. WHEEEE! Works for me.
Bunner
"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Bunner? :-)
Gary

Sigh..it was late..or early ..
Im still rubbing my face trying to get rid of the keyboard imprint, and the original keyboard just came out of the solvent tank. It works well to clean out the drool...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz