getting il out of work gloves

Greetings and Salutations

Has anyone else had this problem: your gloves are so oil soaked, that your hands get oily just putting them on? My work gloves have gotten permeated with way oil (and other stuff) and it makes them "ikky". I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for getting the oil out, or at least reducing it some. I mean, sometimes having gloves provide a light coating of oil to the surface of a cut lets me determine if I'm getting a full 360 degree skim cut or is this roller spot going to be out of round too. But the rest of the time, it is annoying. :-) And let us not talk about what happens with the honing lubricant. Yech!

(Yeah, I know, I know - go buy a replacement pair. I did that, at Bobs Liquidation barn: three pair for ten bucks. But sometimes I get downright cheap.)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

This one is a no-brainer. DON'T WEAR GLOVES while operating machine tools. It's not safe to do so.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Yeah, what Harold said. Are you wearing gloves while running a lathe or a mill? Don't. You're really increasing your chances of getting a serious injury when a rotating tool or workpiece grabs that leather.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Wow, you are cheap . I've been known to be somewhat ....frugal at times but I do a large amount of work in gloves and I buy the best available, and throw them out when they have outlived their usefull life. I have found it is well worth it when you make your living with your hands.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Hi,

What's the thinking about wearing latex gloves? I'm a guitar player and need to protect my hands from oil and keep my nails from getting gummed up and torn (If this conjures up a picture of me working in my shop and saying, "Damn! I broke a nail.", well... it's not far from the truth). On the other hand, I don't want to learn to play like Django - the famous two fingered gypsy guitar player for those not in the know...

I figured latex rips and tears pretty easily and is a lot less likely to pull my hand into anything, plus of course, they don't "flop around" like leather gloves. Am I deluding myself?

Regards,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I suspect there's no problem with it. Some of the better car mechanics around here are wearing them now. It makes sense. They'll tear free very easily if they get caught.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I get chills when I think of gloves, watches, long sleeves, rings, etc. The big advantage for people that don't wear watches is they have a better sence of time.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This question has come up before on this newsgroup; see .

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

No, but um.. soak in 1,1,1TCE or failing that, acetone?

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

I have not worn a watch in over twenty years. I do carry a cell phone which has the time. A gent I used to work with got a kick out of my ability to "guess" the time. I am rarely more than 15 minutes off when asked, usually within 5 minutes. When working togather he would often ask me for the time just to test me. I would tell him the time, he would check his watch, and go back to work not saying anything, but shaking his head. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Ed Huntress wrote: (latex gloves)They'll tear free very easily if they get caught. ^^^^^^^^^ AND, they don't get oil-soaked.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ernie was telling me about some work gloves he uses that are WASHABLE. I can't remember the name.

However, I have to say like everyone else I was taught to not wear work gloves at all around rotating machinery.

Grant

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

No gloves, rings or watches or long sleeves are allowed doing any kind of mechanical work for me. I value my fingers and limbs.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

It rips but that is relevant only in a straight pull, or a snag from a chuck or the like.

Latex (and nitrile) are sticky, and IMO are far more dangerous around a spinning shaft than a stiff leather or smooth cotton glove.

I wear latex and nitrile gloves a lot, just not operating machinery. Aside, the thicker disposable nitrile ones may be less ... sticky than latex (or the thinner nitrile). I can generaly take them off, blow them back right-side out and re-use them until they get torn or worn out.

Reply to
Toolbert

I'd like to hear from some machinists who actually got their latex gloves caught in rotating machinery and had them tear free. I would worry that while the gloves were tearing they would be jerking my hand in. I could easily keep my hand safe if i knew what was happening, but a surprise can catch one unaware and jerk the hand some distance before you reac t.

Reply to
Nick Hull

oh oh...gloves? Lathe? Oh oh...

Gunner, putting on nomex suit.

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed! The worst accidents that I've had were over before I knew that they were happening. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

A city wide blackout at Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:34:31 -0800 did not prevent "Harold & Susan Vordos" from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Who says I am? Its the other times when I want a set of gloves. Usually involving setup.

And getting snagged by wickers in the cable slings is just part of the game? I wear gloves for set up. I find that if I have gloves on, I'll be less fastidious about grabbing what is, after all, chunks of cold metal, be that chains, hooks, or the wrench & three foot cheater to tighten the chuck up. Lets face it folks, not all machining is done at 3000 rpm (I doubt we have a machine capable of those speeds). Where I work, a six foot bed is considered a "mini". Ton and a half finished piece is one of the "small" items. Anything less we just hold in our hands and bite off with our teeth. Yeaargh!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:33:31 -0800 did not prevent "Lane" from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Obviously, you have a heated shop. I don't have that luxury.

When you are standing in the draft towards the heat treating part of the plant, it's the middle of a January night and you're watching a ten foot cut at .025 feed and 20 rpm, and the nearest heater is thirty feet away and pointed the other way, short sleeves isn't realistic.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:46:12 GMT did not prevent "JTMcC" from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Sometimes too cheap. COmes from being broke all those years.

That's why I want to get th oil out of the gloves. Still sound, just groddy.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich