has anyone here experienced this video problem?...

I've been meaning to ask you guys why the fallowing display problem happens, or if anyone of you guys have experienced it. Every once in a while when I'm working on a part or assembly (made of many parts or not many at all) I see the part(s) displayed in shaded mode as expected, but then out of no where after, I perform an operation, such as edit a part in-place then go back to the assembly or I move a component, the assembly gets sliced as if by an imaginary invisible plane. When I rotate the assembly the slicing invisible plane stays put so the assembly updates as I rotate it, to show it sliced in that orientation. The only way that I've been able to fix this problem is by re-starting solidworks 2003. Is it possible that this issue is yet more proof that my fire gl2 is garbage? I've used the latest drivers and older drivers. It doesn't matter what version of drivers I use, the problem still occurs. The other view related issue that's even less of a problem to me, but still weird to me is when I'm in a fab drawing and I place a flag note near a balloon (in AutoCAD I had no need to eye-ball this step, because I could osnap the end of the vertex point on the flag to the quadrant of the balloon), but because geometric relations are what's used in saw it would be more of a pain, so I just eye-ball it, by zooming in. When I zoom out, though, the flag note looks like I didn't do a very good job eye-balling near the balloon, so then I zoom back in to fix this problem, but when I zoom in I see that there's nothing to fix, because the flag is placed just where I want it. Only when I zoom out does it look like it's not touching the balloon. Like I said before these issues aren't a big deal, but I am curious as to why they happen. Any help figuring this stuff out would be appreciated.

Reply to
joe

i have seen it. but have not been able to trace it to anything in particlar. i have a quardo2 pro.

sorry i can't help on this one.

--nick e.

joe quipped:

Reply to
Nick E.

it is the graphics card. It is something called clipping. you can possibly change it by updateing the drivers on the card. If push comes shove just make SW drive the software. Tools----Options---performance... "use software open GL.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

Sometimes this is actually not video card but SW. I see it a lot when I go from exploded views to collapsed. Usually a Rebuild or CTRL-Q fixes it....

Todd

Reply to
TT

I agree with Todd and Nick. I've seen it on a couple of different cards (Oxygen GVX and Quadro 750, maybe an older one I've forgotten). A rebuild usually gets rid of the clipping.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

This is one of those PITA drafting problems. SW is not really WYSIWYG. The only ways I know of to see how notes and such will really look are to look at the print preview, look at the .pdf output, or print it out. I try and use the first one, sometimes catch stuff on the second and invariably end up catching some on the last.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

thanks for all the info. they're odd little issues, and I'll try the ctrl q suggestion, because I've already tried the regular update, with no result.

Reply to
joe

The clipping is a known 2003 issue. We have it sporadically on our machines and have talked to our Var about it. No know software fix on their end yet.

I prefer the Nvidia boards over ATI because of stability. I prefer my crashes to come from the software as opposed to the hardware :)

QuadroFX500 is great bang for the buck. For a few dollars more you can get the Quadro4-980XGL and come real close to the performance of the FX1000 board. Check

and also ebay. There's a reputable guy on ebay selling the 980 new in box for a really good price, search for seller "my-bd" or something like that. I bought one from him and all was exactly as described.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks