Hydraulic bottle jack question

I picked up one of these Bumper lifts, almost like a small fork lift but would not roll with a load. Anyhow it was free and I figured the jack was the problem. Well the jack didn't lift all the way up maybe 1/4 of the way. I decided I might just try this jack fluid that fixes seals, I know it won't work. What is does is leak fluid when you lift the handle not push down, I suppose it leaks by the seals, then when lifting handle for next stroke it has no where to go.

What is the proper way to fill these? Is replacing seals just not worth it?

Reply to
Waynemak

Generally the seals in the pump handle are nothing more than o rings and are easily replaced. Now if the shaft is worn..thats another issue.

Gunner

Gunner

Sounds like it needs a new 'O' ring seal on the pump shaft and a refill of hydraulic oil. There may be a rubber plug in the side of the jack barrel that you fill through. They tend to get hard and break, so handle gently. A better quality jack will have a threaded filling plug somewhere.

Reply to
Bugs

Reply to
Waynemak

Sounds like it needs a new 'O' ring seal on the pump shaft and a refill of hydraulic oil. There may be a rubber plug in the side of the jack barrel that you fill through. They tend to get hard and break, so handle gently. A better quality jack will have a threaded filling plug somewhere. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I fill bottle jacks and let them compress to the end and let the excess oil out. The fill hole needs to be the top of the jack when doing this. You'll also know if the jack is full enough if you can jack it all the way extended without running out of oil.

Bob May