RFI: Allied 2 ton Floor jack repair

My 12 year old Price Club bargain has started to leak and I can't find a seal kit doing the cursory google search. I have never taken one of these kritters apart before
and any advice on how attack this problem would be gratefully appreciated.
regards, Jim

just mho, tried just adding some fluid? if not, do so. --Loren

Had a similar problem with a 20 plus year old triolley jack just recently. I took the whole lot apart using an adjustable wrench and a vice - its no big deal, no special tools, gave it a thorough clean up with some turps and meths - amazing the amount of crud in the bore that builds up over that time period. I took the seal to the local auto repair shop (REPCO in Aus) and they had a seal off the shelf. The old seal had a definite flat spot on the bottom of it where the muck in the bore had been. I replaced the oil using some nice thick engine oil and its been working fine since.
--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs

(snip)
Engine oil is NOT a good "jack oil"! Try a hydraulic fluid. The stuff I use is a John Deere variety.

You might try sending a contact email asking about it to Allied Tools: http://www.alliedtools.com /
--
Anthony

My old Sears floorjack went kaput but only needed an o-ring replaced upon disassembly. Take it apart and see's whats busted, maybe you'll be lucky like me and its an off the shelf part.
Paul T.

I repaired three jacks about 20 years ago, I found them VERY hard to take apart, I ended up at a jack repair place and had them break the threaded joint with their tools ( a LARGE vice and a 10-foot cheater on a special wrench), I had bought the repair kits from them and they were very good-natured about my chagrin from being unable to dissassemble the jack with my Sears vice and 18" pipe wrench. Steve

Having just done a trolley jack the other day, they are pretty easy. You will need to pull the jack out of the frame - mine had 6 allen screws holding it in. There is a BIG nut on the top of the ram shroud. in my case the ram shroud was a piece of pipe which also threaded into the main body. Remove both the nut and the pipe - you will need a big spanner, a solid vice and a Stilson and rags to clean up spilt oil ;-) Go to local seal and bearing emporium and for $NZ10.58 (~$US6.60) they can match you up another one. Take the ram so they can check the size. New Zealanders can go to Seal House, East Tamaki. You may need to buy a bit of jack oil as well, although I have head of people using ATF or hydraulic oil. "assembly is the reverse of the previous section" Geoff
On 27 Dec 2003 01:16:18 -0600, geoff merryweather

Thanks, just what I needed. Although, I'd rather go to NZ for the seals than the local bearing/seal house. Really bad end of town. Best of the New Year to all. Jim