Silly question - why 4mm grid paper?

A4, like the other A 'series' paper sizes are all related by area. A4 is half the area of A2 and so on.

As for 4mm not being an integer fraction of 1cm etc., while that would be and issue for scale drawing, it isn't for a number of other uses, including (for example) plotting graphs. Over the years, I've seen various 'odd' grid sizes (I was a maths teacher and used maths in my earlier engineering career).

Brian Reay

Umm, no. A4 is half the area of A3. They're all defined by a DIN standard and have the joy that the length:width ratio is constant throughout the whole series.

Regards Sim> >>

Reply to
SimonCarrLyme

Yes, of course, a silly error on my part.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I'm not looking for a relationship to imperial units, I'm looking for a metric explanation why one would have a 4mm grid on the page.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

"Cliff Coggin" on Wed, 24 Aug 2016

17:58:14 +0100 typed in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

Thanks, that seems to be the consensus.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Not quite - A4 is half A3, which is half A2 etc, eventually to a sheet which is one square meter in size, and the Golden Rectangle.

Yep. But a 4mm grid still means you have to count grid squares to plot your data.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Is there a another/better way?

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

To answer my own question - label the axes and put scales on them. Then you simply read the scales to plot the data. I guess I'm out of practice!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

And you get to count all the squares from (0,0) to (10,14), then on to (13,15), etc, etc. Because while it would seem to make sense that 10 units is 2 squares over, it isn't on a 4mm grid. Two girds over is 8mm. so, you get to count, not measure. Meh, it just means that this paper is not for drawing with a standard measure, but you have to make a custom scale to use. Which is not that unusual, I make scales with the lines on the page being 1 or 2 units, and then marking off left and right according to the tick marks on the scale I made.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Alan Dawes on Sun, 14 Aug 2016 12:18:54

+0100 typed in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

Aha.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

If you have 5mm grids, when you want to plot (4,5) (15,9) (21,15) you can just measure over 4cm and up 5, etcera.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I wonder how you plot graphs? When I did this a part of the job as a test engineer they were for others to view and use. So I put major and minor grid lines on them with pen and ink and annotated the axes with scales. The when doing the actual plotting used the scales, as would those reading them later. So it didn't matter what the grid spacing was as long as the graphs were at the largest that would sensibly fit on the page.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

I would do something like that.

But I'm not "plotting" so much as 'drafting'.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Good heavens is this STILL dragging on

YAWN YAWN YAWN

Hasn't this been flogged to death

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" on Thu, 15 Sep

2016 18:39:57 +0100 typed in uk.rec.models.engineering the following:

Apparently not.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Don't knock it Andrew. At least it's activity :-)

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

True :)