Walthers Folded Paper Diaphragms?

These seem to be out of production, or at least I can no longer find 'em in the Walthers catalog. Anybody got a source for these or a similar product?
Old hobby shop stock or whatever?
The darn things work quite well, which is more than I can say for anything else I've tried!
Pete

in
On Walthers.com, it says they are out of stock but new stock is expected on Dec. 19th, 2007.

IMHO, they are just short of awful. They are too stiff to actually "flex", and the striker plates tend to catch each other on curves and crossovers. Heck, I've seen some act like giant spring loaded plungers...meaning that one has to slam the cars together to get a hitch. All the diaphragm installations I've been doing lately have been with the Americal Limited types. The F-units ones are especially good for the Athearn Genesis models. The passenger car ones are a little more complicated, and more of a pain to make and maintain. All of them are very flexible, and I've never seen one cause a derailment.
YMMV.

I solved both those problems a long time ago, and have a lot more difficulty with the American Limited models.
Which is why I'm looking for more of the old Walthers ones.
Pete
On 12/9/2007 5:17 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

You could make them yourself. (Being an inveterate DIYer, I'm compelled to say this.) Bellows are actually easy (and fun) to make; I made an experimental set for a camera once. I can show you the layout, although you can probably figure it out yourself. Use thin paper and paint it black when done (or use thin black paper).

black when done (or use thin black paper).< Somewhere, long ago, there is a mag article showing how to do it. I believe they used a dollar bill as the paper is very sturdy and will last forever.
Jon Miller wrote:

You will need thin black paper and a jig around which to fold the paper.
In the past I achieved a nearly acceptable paper diaphragm using lightweight letter writing paper, but never got it black without destroying the paper's rigidity and springiness. Depending on the method of folding different effects can be achieved, square-topped, round-topped or rounded corners. By making two parallel zig-zags with full end panels I got a good working result, but folding across side-top-side and then folding the result into a "U" always ended up with a fractional twist. I did try a series of slotted pieces fitted together in "XXX" fashion but I was never neat enough doing it by hand. A jig for folding and cutting would fix that.
Greg.P.

Try using a copier to 'color' paper black. Just lay a sheet of paper on the copier, leave the 'lid' up and copy. I've done this a number of times and ended up with a nice flat black sheet of paper. This does not affect the flexibility.
Ken
kr wrote:

I did all my experiments pre-inkjet printers - nowadays I couple my coaches closer together and use larger radius curves. :-)

I checked the Model Train Magazine Index using keyword-diaphragm. I found reference to two articles (both ancient) which gave instructions. They are: Model Railroader January, 1937 page 17. (Railroad) Model Craftsman November, 1937 page 896. I perused both articles and noted little apparent difficulty. HTH.
Jerry

Yup...
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:18:33 -0800, P. Roehling wrote:

Hunh. I'd think they'd leak or dissolve, and certainly not stand up to any battering at the gates, but . . . oh, never miiind.
--
E. Litella

When I wrote the subject line for this thread, somehow I just *knew* Emily would be along to stick her oar in before it petered out.
I miss Gilda Radner.
Pete
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:51:27 -0800, P. Roehling wrote:

You continue to be the master of the straight line!
--
Steve

P. Roehling wrote:

Real modelers use American Limited Diaphragms. I mean really ... in an earlier thread weren't you bragging about 48" radius curves and Number 8 Switches ? <rolls eyes>
Bill

"Real Modelers"?
What a maroon!