Re: Anybody pay full retail?

I buy online and at my local shops...so I guess that means I buy full retail. I prefer to buy at the shops because I'm more comfortable being able to see up close and hands-on what I'm paying for.....that being said I tend to buy online, those things that aren't available in my local shops, not because its cheaper.

I am curious who and how full retail shops survive? I don't buy from > them cept for a magazine etc, and I don't see many of them busy > (especially the ones who sell mostly O scale). Do some folks do all > their shopping at a full retail shop? Why? Why not?
Reply to
Gene

I go to a local shop and hit the owner up for advice from time to time so I figure I should send business his way. However, on certain items he sells for

15% below Walthers catalog price, so maybe its a big tax write-off.
Reply to
CowGoesMoo

On 1 Jul 2003 09:08:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MrRathburne) shared this with the world:

Here in Canada, there aren't many options. You either pay full retail, or a bit more. Or you mail order from another country and pay duty (AKA service fee, and tax).

Kent

Reply to
Kent Ashton

"Kent Ashton" <

In my experience, it's still cheaper on orders of over say Can$100 to order from the States and pay the "Handling Fee" (A tax by any other name) than it is to purchase locally.

Of course, I'm taking about locomotives here and as I usually order two or more, the "fee" and postage is amortised over a several hundred dollar order. Ordering from the U.S., either from a hobby store, discounters or E-Bay just usually isn't worth while on small orders or single items.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

None in particular, but I reckon I get three locos from the States for two in Canada.

S&H are around what, US$20? Canada Post "Fee", Can$5.00?

Bachmann light 4-8-2 in the US US$99.00?

In Canada, Can$300.00?

Still cheaper.

Or Doodlebugs in the US$, around US20.00

In Canada, around Can$99.00, and "on sale" at that?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

Just read the adds in MR and RMC, you see them all the time..

At random.

June 2003. Page 39. "Toy Train Heaven"

Bachmann Spectrum:

USRA Lt. Mountain $85.95 - About $300 in Canada

EMC Gas Electric $35.95 (But I've seen other add for them at around US$19.99) - About $100.00 in Canada

Life-Like P1K

Budd RDC 3 $33.95 - About $100.00 in Canada.

So there you go. That those prices took me all of two minutes to find. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

Plam a driving vacation down here and stock up. Your savings would pay for it!

Reply to
MrRathburne

There's one shop -- a really long term in the business --- here in Portland, Or., Vic's Hobby, on NE Broadway, that charges full Walthers catalog prices and manufacturer's suggested retail.

Relatively poor stock compared to two other stores in the metro area. Almost everything is a "special order" and "paid in advance".

No idea how they stay in business.

Then again, since they appear to charge full retail and want cash in advance, the markup is great and they have little in inventory costs / capital tied up in inventory.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

If I had a local shop the caliber of Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena, or Des Plaines Hobbies in Chicago - both of them more or less "full retail", I'd probably never shop anywhere else. Unfortunately I don't, so I shop those places when I visit Chicago or southern California, and in between shop at local discount shops like Johnny's, mail order, whatever.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

And since those tundra pesos are going for about $.75 US, as opposed to the usual $.63-.67, those Canadian prices are really starting to hurt, and it makes shopping over the border that much more attractive. (Exchange rates quoted from the 6/22 paper.)

Jay Modeling the North Shore & North Western C&NW/CNS&M in 1940-1955 Due to spam, all e-mails except those from selected addresses will be refused. Thanks for your understanding.

Reply to
JCunington

Not if I can avoid it! :)

Nemo

(Lucky th>I am curious who and how full retail shops survive? I don't buy from

Reply to
Cap'n Nemo

Personally, having owned a hobby shop (where I gave discounts to regulars), I always pay full boat; if offered a discount, I'll take it. I won't ask for one, especially in a place I've never been in before.

One night, a guy walked in, dropped about $200.00 of stuff on the counter and asked for a discount. I asked him if he did that at Kroger, and he said no, he used food stamps at Kroger.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Dear Mr. Rat-Burns Sir,

Yes there are still a few full service, list price shops around. They are thriving.

Thamk you.

Ptooey

Mr Ratburns wrote:

Reply to
Achmed Ptooey

AT Joe's, we charge list price on our items. If you are a club member and have Club ID, (Either RR or flying club) you get a 10% discount. You have to tell the person before they start using the Cash register.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

My sources for MR supplies are as follows:

DCC - Mail order from Tony's Train Exchange, I never use the local hobby shop. Tony's gives has excellent prices, and great product support.

Bulk Purchases (track, turnouts) The cheapest source I have found is Hobby Circle in Brooklyn NY. Bought 200 sections of Atlas Code 83 track and 18 Walthers turnouts at 35% off. Great deal. I also have ordered Lifelike locos, and Intermountain shells from him at great prices (better than 20% off).

Brass, - Most of my recent brass acquisitions, and anything I decide to unload, I go through Ebay. Since I can't afford the latest brass issued, I hardly ever go through my local hobby shop anymore. Back when I did, I got it for 10% over cost.

Everything else - Most of my supplies come from a local hobby shop (Al's Hobby -Elmhurst IL) that gives me 20% off. I only go to the full price retailers if I need something else right away or they hold a 20% off sale (Desplaines Hobby).

If I am travelling, and I go hobby shop wandering, I will usually purchase a built up Intermountain, Lifelike, or Red Caboose kit if I can find one I want. I figure that is my payment for the shopping experience. Last year, I found a nice hobby shop in I believe Lake Carroll Mich. that gave 20% off, so I bought two Red Caboose reefers, and two Walthers tenement kits. I purchase more if I feel I am getting value for my money. And before somebody jumps on the "Oh no, here is another non-modeler that pays for Chinese labor to assemble his kits", it took me nine months to find the time to assemble 2 of the 50 plus Intermountain kits on my shelf, in addition to finding time to build a double deck extension to the railroad. Occasional "instant gratification" is a good thing if a modeler wants something other than Athearn (or Accurail, which are outstanding) kits running around the railroad.

regards, Jerry Zeman

Reply to
Jerry Zeman

US first, then gets sent back to Oz, not so cheap. Funny world! :)< Middle man markup in the US. There were other parts of the world that had certain engines much cheaper until someone figured out that we in the US could access those sites on the net and then the prices changed.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Because it's the only shop nearby. I don't drive so don't have the option of heading further afield to the cheaper (and better) shops out there. And I like the guy who runs the train section, though I despise the owner's son, who now runs the store, which is a general hobby shop that is about half trains.

Mark Alan Miller

Reply to
Mark Alan Miller

Kroger here installed "U-scan" lanes about 5-6 years ago. And of course along with it, they closed down the human-run express "12 or less" checkout. So I walked up to the manager's counter and asked how much of a discount I got for using the the U-scan. They looked at me kind of funny and said "you don't get a discount". I told them I ought to get at least something for doing their job. They weren't amused. I shop at Meijers now. Hardly perfect, but the few complaints I've had have actually been addressed. I've been complaining to Kroger for 25 years, and always get sympathy but never (I mean, never) any action.

Never.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Have you considered mail order or the internet? Just curious.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Who collects that?

Reply to