DullCote substitute

Every so often, I have inquiree about a substitute for DullCote. It works well, but the small cans will eat your wallet alive if you need a lot of it.

Well, a week ago, I was at the local Hobby Lobby (no, I don't work there or even own stock) and they had a product that was from Crafts Etc. It was clear acrylic spray and was available in both the Matte and Glossy finishes.

I tried a can of the Matte. In the past, similar Matte products have still been pretty glossy; this one wasn't. It left just a faint sheen... maybe only about 20% of glossy. Anyway, I used it to seal some decals that I put on a prepainted Athearn reefer and it seems to work really well.

Now for the best news... an 11 oz. can of this stuff costs $4.47 per can... that's not a whole lot more than the cost of one of those small cans of DullCote.

As always, I'd suggest that you try it on a scrap piece of whatever with whatever kind of paint you are going to use, but my first experience with it has been very good.

dlm

--------------------------- Dan Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Thanks, strange I was thinking about what else to use too...

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Grumbacher makes an indentical product which can be found in art supply stores. It can be purchased in large spray cans also. I have used it for a long time with good results.

Reply to
MGuill1224

=>Every so often, I have inquiree about a substitute for DullCote. It works =>well, but the small cans will eat your wallet alive if you need a lot of it.

Krylon also makes a flat clear spray. Like Dullcote, it's solvent based, not an acrylic, so the usual precautions apply.

You mention the slight sheen -- that's prototypical. Dead flat is rare in real life, except maybe on rolling stock subject to desert sun and wind-blown sand for many years. BTW, mirror-like high gloss is also rare.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Very interesting. Some time ago I tried a "satin" clear spray can from some-body-or-other and it made the decals crinkle up. I went back to dull cote after that. The brand name on the spray can was "Crafts Etc"? We don't seem to have Hobby Lobby around here but there are a bunch of craft type stores that carry paint.

David Starr

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Reply to
David J. Starr

True, but at the art suply stores wher I've bought mine, it's about $8 per can... I was attracted to the $4.47 pricetag as well as the results! : )

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

They have a web site; you might be able to get it from there...

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel