Ideas how to paint stars on Wonder Woman model costume?

I see the Moebius model did not come with star decals or even faint lines on the costume parts to paint.

I really don't want to spend a fortune on a decal sheet for say 20 or so 1/8 or 1/16 stars; if one even exists.

thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Here's a thought. Find some star stickers - even if you have to kiss up to a teacher - in the correct size. Paint the shorts white and seal with clear gloss lacquer. Paste on the stars and overspray again with the lacquer. Now paint the shorts the appropriate color (blue?). When the paint is dry, remopve the stickers and coat again with the clear. I use lacquer because it seems to dry quicker and harder than the enamel. Good luck.

Reply to
The Old Man

Check on wargaming decals -- most I've seen a sheet go for is $15 and most are in the $2-3 range. Standard US stars for 15mm (1/100 scale) items should work fine.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

thx for that tip. Moebius said that from their kit feedback, that many people are making a stencil. Not sure what all that would involve. If the stars look even a bit fuzzy its not going to look very good.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

a star is a fairly standard geometric shape, and so has probably been done several times in both water-slide and rub-on decals...bet you can find some cheap with some looking around. Good luck!

Reply to
Pauli G

If you can't find white star decals in a suitable size, make your own: Buy white decal film, or take a clear decal film and spray it white, then cut stars out of it with a razor knife.

Likewise, if you want to use the star sticker approach but can't find any the right size, buy address label stickers and cut out stars. You can print stars onto the labels if you need a cutting guide.

Using a stencil is the same as Old Man's star sticker approach. Spray a sheet of paper with low-tack repositionable adhesive, or buy large address label stickers. Cut your stencil. Paint the shorts blue, coat with clear gloss. Apply the stencil. Seal with clear gloss, then paint with white. The reason for using clear gloss is that if it bleeds under the edges, it won't be visible, and it'll seal the edges so the color won't leed under.

I've heard that some people skip the adhesive backing, using plain paper and wetting it with water so it'll stick to the model, then gently blotting with a dry cloth to dry the model surface before painting. Haven't tried it myself.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Musicman59 wrote the following:

You might try A.C.Moore or Michaels craft stores. You'll probably find a number of star decals or stickers there.

Reply to
willshak

Why not print your own? From the other posts I gather you're dealing with white stars on a blue background. Assuming no ALPS printer is available, print in negative, that is, print an all blue decal sheet with clear stars on it (any decent colour printer can do this, no need for special equipment). Paint the whole area white, then cover with decal.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel