I sure hope Gernot and his family came through safely in Japan

That sure was a big shaker - 9.0 I heard today.
Bill Banaszak, MFE sr.

Yes, he (and his family) is ok. I touched bases with him on Sunday.
Peteski

I look at the pictures of the damage and it is incomprehensible. It reminds me of pictures of Japan having been bombed just without the pall of blackened soot on everything.
My heart really does go out to them. I truly wish it was within my power to help.

Thanks Pete! Kayo I sent to Kyoto Monday night, orders to stay until I say so. Initially 1 week expected. Coz I don't trust those reports one bit, nor that things will get better soon. This situation is very volatile, and I am keeping my evacuation gear close at hand.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

Good God a week? Have they seen the pictures? It looks like when they were bombed at the end of WWII! Except it doesn't have that blackened look to it.
So many people completely wiped out, home, job, car, clothing, family heirlooms. It is incomprehensible.
I guess the Japanese have going for them that they are industrious and resourceful, but still such extraordinary destruction. Has any indutrialized nation seen such destruction since... WWII?
My heart goes out to those people. But I do think it says a lot about them that so much went right. I saw an article that talked about how the bullet trains shut down with no injuries, and how a lot of things went they way they had prepared for them.

Yes, it is all white now with sub-zero temperatures. Poor bastards! :-(
We're all in the office today, expecting daily power outages, wearing warm clothes, blankets and other gear on hand in case of needing to spend the night in such situations here in Tokyo.
Kyoto has blizzard the last few days. And of course Tohoku is freezing, expected like that for the next week or so.

Don't know, doubt it. But then, the east coast is not the visible industrial heart of Japan. But transport infrastructure gone up there means shortages of processed hydrocarbon products.

Very little can be said against public transport in Japan I think. (Except for the fact that it is public and part of the debt spiral.)
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

Glad to hear it but I wouldn't trust the reports either. Three Mile Island is less than 30 miles away and that accident scared the crap out of me and I mean that literally. After an emergency message broadcast it usually took less than 15 minutes to end up in the john. Of course, if a meteor ever hits the Atlantic it's said that the shoreline will move back to the Appalachians about 30 miles north of here. Won't be enough time to get there from here.
Bill Banaszak

be safe, bud.